Princeton offers admission to around 50 students on waiting list

Excitement and anxiety soar, yield rate not yet compiled

Around 50 students on the waiting list have already been offered admission to the Class of 2021, according to Assistant Vice President for Communication Daniel Day.

Word of waiting list admissions sparked excitement and anxiety on multiple College Confidential threads – an online forum for prospective and current college applicants and parents.

Generally, waiting list admissions have been offered in waves, with students receiving notifications of acceptance as late as early July.

The same time last year, Dean of Admission Janet Rapelye told The Daily Princetonian that it was too early to tell whether students would be drawn from the waiting list. The same time in 2015, Rapelye noted that she expected to draw 20-25 students from the waitlist. The yield for the Class of 2020 is 68.5 percent and 67.7 percent for the Class of 2019.

Princeton also has not determined its Class of 2021 yield, the percentage of admitted students who has confirmed enrollment, Day added. The final number of waiting list admittees will depend on the yield rate.

The Crimson reported Wednesday that Harvard attained a record-breaking yield of 84 percent for the Class of 2021. Dartmouth also reported a record number of attendees and a yield of 61 percent. All other Ivy Leagues have yet to announce their yields this year.

Princeton University