Princeton’s West College to be renamed after Toni Morrison and Dodds Auditorium after Sir Arthur Lewis

Starting July 1

West College is to be renamed after the Nobel laureate Toni Morrison, and the Woodrow Wilson School’s Dodds Auditorium after Sir Arthur Lewis, Princeton has announced today.

University trustees approved the decision, which takes effect on July 1, to “inscribe upon the fabric of our campus a fuller account not only of Princeton’s history,” as President Eisgruber put it.

He said in a university wide announcement:

“I am very grateful to the Naming Committee for these excellent recommendations, and I am delighted that Princeton will now be able to honor and commemorate Toni Morrison and Arthur Lewis for their pioneering contributions to this University and to the world, while also continuing to recognize the leadership of President Dodds in helping to create the school that brought Arthur Lewis to Princeton.

“By taking these steps we begin to recognize more completely the extraordinary range of individuals and groups that have made this University what it is today, and to inscribe upon the fabric of our campus a fuller account not only of Princeton’s history, but also of the commitments to both excellence and inclusivity that must guide our aspirations for the future.”

A university announcement added: “The committee made its recommendations after seeking suggestions from throughout the University community, including through a website that provided background information about the two spaces that the trustees asked it to consider. More than 210 people submitted suggestions through the website.”

Princeton University Hide Images