Princeton Advocates For Justice explain why organizing against Donald Trump is more important than ever

It’s time to pause Netflix, volunteer, and get organized

Listen up everyone! It’s time to pause that Netflix show, volunteer, and get organized.

More than ever, our country needs its students to stand up and lead a collective response against the recent executive orders that threaten the core values of this nation. President Trump’s actions indefinitely banned all Syrian refugees, unjustly targeted and restricted immigration from seven Muslim-majority countries, and placed a halt on all refugee entries for 120 days. And you know what? We students are not gonna let this stand.

President Trump’s actions represent the worst impulses of the American nation and the aspirational ideals of our founding documents. They clash with our fundamental belief that diversity makes this country great. To accept immigrants and refugees regardless of nationality or religious creed represents an opportunity for the United States to live up to a set of ideals it has often espoused but far less often enacted. Closing our doors to the international community is bad policy, period.

Princeton Advocates for Justice

It should be of no surprise then that student leaders across the country are organizing to hold an Immigration Day of Action (DoA) on February 17th. Institutions like Princeton, UC Berkeley, the University of South Florida, Tufts, Yale, Penn, Dartmouth, and numerous others are holding a Day of Action that consists of a day of badass letter writing and phone banking to protest the recent executive orders.

Don’t underestimate the power of contacting your representatives! Members of Congress record the number of calls and types of issues that their constituents care about the most.

If you or a couple friends are interested in setting up your own DoA on campus, please reach out to [email protected] and [email protected]. We’d love to get in touch and organize a national movement with you. The time to act is now! Close Netflix (for a sec), volunteer, and organize.

Op-ed authored by members of Princeton Advocates for Justice.

Princeton University