BREAKING: Woodrow Wilson school will NOT be renamed

They finally reached a decision

The Board of Trustees has announced their decision not to rename the Woodrow Wilson School or remove the mural.

They will also change the school’s informal motto from “Princeton in the nation’s service and the service of all nations” to “Princeton in the nation’s service and the service of humanity.”

In a campus wide press release sent just now, they revealed:

“For reasons that are presented later in this report, the committee recommends that both the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs and Woodrow Wilson College should retain their current names and that the University needs to be honest and forthcoming about its history.

“This requires transparency in recognizing Wilson’s failings and shortcomings as well as the visions and achievements that led to the naming of the school and the college in the first place.

“Even more important, in the committee’s view, is a strong reaffirmation by the Board of Trustees of the University’s commitment and determination to be a place that is truly diverse and inclusive, one that embraces, respects, and values all members of its on-campus and alumni communities.”

The committee recommended and the board approved new initiatives in four areas:

* Establish a new high-profile pipeline program to encourage more students from underrepresented groups to pursue doctoral degrees;

* Encourage and support a broad range of education and transparency initiatives to create a more multi-faceted understanding and representation of Wilson on campus and to focus attention on aspects of Princeton’s history that have been forgotten, overlooked, subordinated, or suppressed;

* Diversify campus art and iconography to reflect the diversity and inclusivity of today’s Princeton; and

* Change Princeton’s informal motto from “Princeton in the nation’s service and the service of all nations” to “Princeton in the nation’s service and the service of humanity.”

More to follow.

Princeton University