Ted Cruz’s freshman roommate from Princeton says he was the worst roomie of all time

The roommate wrote The Hangover III, and his Cruz burns are incredible

We’ll never know for sure whether the claim in the above tweet is accurate, but we can definitely say it’s within the realm of possibility – the author was Ted Cruz’s freshman year roommate at Princeton, Craig Mazin ’92.

Here’s a recent photo of Craig looking pretty content with himself:

It’s clear that Craig’s kind of a douche, but he’s also insanely funny – maybe because he’s a comedic film writer who helped pen the final two installments of The Hangover series (ugh, I know, not the first one…still pretty cool, though).

Mazin’s most prominent claim to fame though, has nothing to do with his movies – it’s the ceaseless, merciless beating of Cruz he’s gifted the Twittersphere.

From the moment Cruz launched his POTUS campaign, Mazin began leading a relentless crusade against the senator he claims was an intolerable roommate, pathological liar, and terrible-smelling virgin throughout college. During the past year alone, he’s milked his affiliation with the Republican candidate by tweeting about Cruz literally hundreds of times. It’s definitely overkill, but it’s also hysterical.

In an interview with The Daily Beast, he claimed Cruz used to terrify female Butler residents by visiting their end of the hall in his bathrobe:

“I would end up fielding the girls’ complaints: ‘Could you please keep your roommate out of our hallway?'”

Mazin has gone out of his way to check off just about every box on the “Worst Roommate Imaginable” list when describing his time with Cruz:

The one-liners and hygiene concerns are fun, but some of Mazin’s criticisms of Cruz are much more substantive:

“I remember very specifically that he had a book in Spanish and the title was Was Karl Marx a Satanist? And I thought, ‘Who is this person?'” he said. “Even in 1988, he was politically extreme in a way that was surprising to me.”

Cruz and debate partner David Panton at Princeton during their senior year

Mazin added that the thought of his ex-roommate in the Oval Office should make the country “afraid.”

“I would rather have anybody else be the president of the United States,” he said. “Anyone. I would rather pick somebody from the phone book.”

Mostly, Mazin can’t believe he survived the ordeal:

Obviously Mazin is a parasitic attention whore riding Cruz’ recent tidal wave of press coverage – that’s his job. We’ll never know for sure whether he really loathes Cruz as passionately as he lets on, and we’ll never know whether any of his claims about 17-year-old Cruz are true.

But we don’t care. They’re awesome.

Princeton University