Your guide to Labor Day weekend in Pittsburgh

Here’s a list of where you should be over the long weekend

With a long weekend approaching, you will definitely be looking for something to do. You might be planning on just hitting the bar or heading out to a frat party, you know the usual weekend happenings. But with more time to spare this weekend, there’s more for you to do.

So here’s a list of some of the organized events happening this weekend in and around Pittsburgh.

Party in the Tropics ( Age 21+)

Where: Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens

When: Friday 7pm-10pm

Phipps will transform on Friday night from botanical garden to a nightlife hub. The party will start around 7pm and carry on into the night with dancing and a DJ in the middle of the gardens. You can also indulge in sweet and savory morsels and taste unique cocktails available for purchase.

Pitt Panthers vs. Villanova

Where: Heinz Field

When: Saturday 1:30pm

The Pittsburgh Panthers football team plays Villanova on September 3rd for their first game of the season. Not only will you be able to catch a great game, but there will also be a Rib Festival going on throughout the weekend. Without a doubt this is one event you don’t want to miss this weekend.

Pittsburgh Pirates Block Party/Pirates vs. Brewers

Where: PNC Park/The North Shore

When: Saturday; Game begins @ 7:05pm with Block Party prior

You can join the Pirates pregame on Federal Street for a Saturday Night Block Party, featuring live entertainment, food and beer options, games and more. Plus you can have the opportunity to meet former Pirate Rennie Stennett!

Zambelli Fireworks at Seven Springs

Where: Seven Springs Ski Resort

When: Saturday 9pm

If you don’t mind a bit of a drive, head on out to Seven Springs Saturday night. There you’ll witness world renowned Zambelli Fireworks over the Seven Springs Resort. The display will start promptly at 9pm.

60th Annual Pittsburgh Folk Festival 

Where: Schenley Plaza

When: Saturday 11am-10pm; Sunday 11am-6pm

For the 60th consecutive year come and experience different cultures in Schenley Plaza in Oakland. You can savor foods made from coveted recipes passed down generations. Listen and watch singers, dancers and musicians from over 30 countries. Admission to the event is free.

Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory Screenings

Where: The Hollywood Theater in Dormont

When: Saturday 7pm; Sunday 2pm; Monday 4pm & 7pm

Feeling nostalgic for your childhood? Want to remember Gene Wilder who played Willy Wonka in the original film? The Hollywood Theater in Dormont will be having four screenings over the weekend with tickets available at the theater.

Yoga in the Square

Where: Market Square, Downtown

When: Sunday 10am

The last summer session of free community yoga will be taking place this holiday weekend. Yoga instructor, Lisa Friday, will lead an hour-long outdoor yoga class in Market Square. Bring your mats and come prepared to sweat it out among the skyscrapers!

Allegheny County Music Festival

Where: Hartwood Acres Park

When: Sunday 5pm

This is a free outdoor concert featuring Rusted Root with Nevada Color, Jim Donovan & Sun King Warriors, put on by Allegheny County. It will take place at Hartwood Acres Park Amphitheater, with music at 5pm and the main act Rusted Roots performing around 8pm.

2016 Gatorade/Steelers 5k

Where: Heinz Field

When: Monday 7:30am

The 28th Annual Gatorade/Steelers 5k Race, Fitness Walk and Kid’s Run will be all starting around 7:30am on Monday morning. The races will wind through the North Shore. Registration is still available online at www.steelers.com. If you aren’t racing and have nothing to do Monday, be sure to make it out to the North Shore to support the participants in their races.

The Pittsburgh Labor Day Parade

Where: Downtown

When: Monday 10am

One of the largest Labor Day parades in the country will begin at 10am Downtown. The route runs from Liberty at 11th Street, down Grant Street to the Boulevard of the Allies to Stanwix Street. Come take a seat along the route to see marchers, motorcycles, fire trucks marching bands and labor unions.

These are just some of the many events happening in and around Pittsburgh this weekend. Get out there and enjoy the extra day! 

University of Pittsburgh