Duke Assistant Basketball Coach hired as Head Coach of Pitt Panthers

Capel replaces Kevin Stalling after Stalling was fired for leading Pitt to its worst basketball season ever

Jeff Chapel has been hired as the Head Coach of the University of Pittsburgh Men’s basketball team. Chapel was the Assistant Coach at Duke for seven years, where he gained a reputation for his unbelievable recruiting. Duke had the #1 ranked recruitment class in 2016, 2017, and 2018.

Capel is replacing ex-head coach Kevin Stallings, who served as HC for two seasons with a 24-41 record. Last season, Stallings led the Panther’s to an atrocious 0-19 in the ACC. This is only the second time this has EVER happened in the ACC.

Pitt was the only team in the NCAA that did not win a single game in their conference. According to AP sports writer Jordy McCreary, “this was the worst season in the program’s 113-year history.”

Capel being brought in is a solid, program-saving move by Pitt’s new Athletic Director, Heather Lyke. Stallings brought in 11 new players for the Panther’s last year. After Stallings was fired, eight Pitt players requested release to transfer…a nerve-racking situation for new AD Lyke and the Panther’s as only three players did NOT request to leave, and Pitt only had one commit in its recruiting class. Pitt hope’s that Capel will bring in a slew of recruits to help revive the program.

Many believed that Capel was to take the Head Coaching position at Duke upon the retirement of the legendary Blue Devils coach Mike Krzyewski—serving as Interim Head Coach when Coack K had to leave for medical reasons.

Capel signed a 7-year deal with the Panthers, while Stalling and Pitt has agreed to a buyout deal for the rest of his contract.

Safe travels Stalling! Hopefully we see yinz never again!

University of Pittsburgh