QB Kenny Pickett wins ACC Rookie of the Week in stunning win over No. 2 Miami

The freshmen QB had an impressive outing Friday afternoon in his first start with Pitt Panthers Football

Freshman quarterback Kenny Pickett gave the Panthers the chance they needed to end a lack-luster season on a high note. Pickett led the offense to a 24-14 win over Miami, the number two ranked team in the nation, accounting for all three of the Panthers touchdowns. Two of his touchdowns were on the ground and the third was a passing touchdown. Pickett threw 29 passes, completing 18 of them for 193 yards.

The stout Miami defense has been one of the best all year even touting an impressive “Turnover Chain” donned by Miami players who earned takeaways in a defense that chalked up an impressive 17 interceptions and 9 forced fumbles. Pickett had zero turnovers.

In a clutch moment with time waning in the fourth quarter, Pickett ran for a touchdown on a bootleg fake that gave Pitt a 24-7 lead. His performance was enough to earn his ACC Rookie of the Week and 24/7 Sports True Freshman of the Week. Pickett’s pocket presence and impressive mobility could prove to help Pitt re-stabilize after a disappointing season.

(Stats courtesy of ESPN)

(Photo Credit (USA Today Sports)

University of Pittsburgh