I put pumpkin spice on everything for a day…and I mean EVERYTHING

Pumpkin spice has many uses, especially if you like pain

This weekend, to get in the Halloween spirit, I decided to take the pumpkin spice out of the latte and to put it in everything else. The day I decided to start this project, it was raining and the bus schedule was a mess, so I took a Lyft to Target get one little cooking ingredient.

When I arrived, I asked for pumpkin spice, to which the salesman stared at me and said, "I'll see if we have it." But, of course they had it — it is Target, after all!

So for the reasonable price of $3.99 I purchased a small container of pumpkin spice and got started.

The first thing I did with my pumpkin spice was put it on everything I ate.

I started the morning by eating pumpkin spice waffles and drinking pumpkin spice tea, and later indulged in pumpkin spice pizza, and a glass of pumpkin spice wine. Don't judge my diet, it's Halloween OK?

Image may contain: Meal, Breakfast, Pie, Dessert, Cake, Apple Pie, Poster, Collage, Waffle, Food

Pumpkin spice is very subtle, and on its own, it tastes like nutmeg with a hint of cinnamon. I know this because I put too much on my piece of Hershey's chocolate and ended up coughing up a lung. Note: choking hazard, do not use too much.

On the waffle it actually tasted pretty good, and I barely noticed it on the pizza. Somewhat unsurprisingly, it complemented the flavor of the hot chocolate.

I guess you really can put that shit on everything, but use with caution.

Oddly enough, I barely noticed the spice in the tea and then ended up finding a pile of it on the bottom of my mug when I was finished. Oh well, I tried. My advice would be to stir it up a bit first. Portions are everything.

Food was fun and all, but not quite fun enough. I wanted to go farther and do more with pumpkin spice: makeup.

I decided that there were three forms of makeup that pumpkin spice could work as a replacement for: eyeshadow, blush and lipstick.

Image may contain: Human, Person, People

The eyeshadow felt fine, but didn't show very well. I wished it was a bit darker, but beggars can't be choosers. Honestly, it works pretty well as a subtle orange, which is nice, especially for a spooky Halloween look. Definitely requires a base, though.

The next cosmetic item I tried to turn pumpkin spice into was blush. I put some tinted eye brightener on my cheeks to hold the spice, and then rubbed it all over my cheeks. It hurt and didn't look great either. Oh well.

Finally, I thought I'd try it as a lipstick. This was the most effective of them all, for sure. I put on a neutral lipstick and then dabbed pumpkin spice alllll over my lips. It looked like some Halloween thing that Insta makeup artists do, except way less cool.

From afar, it even kind of looked like real lipstick. That is, if you barely looked.

At this point I had pretty much put pumpkin spice all over my face, so I figured I would use it as an exfoliator as well.

I removed the "makeup" version of my pumpkin spice and wet my hands. I then dumped a bunch of the spice into my hands and rubbed it all over my face.

This went terribly. My face, especially my cheeks, started to burn like absolute fire. My entire face turned red like a blotchy sunburn. It was terrible. I left it on for a few minutes and then wiped it off.

As much as it hurt, it did leave my face feeling very smooth afterwards. Perhaps it functions as a peel. Still, I wouldn't try it at home.

And then, the next morning my face felt clear and smooth. So like, maybe it isn't the worst thing ever but I would definitely consult a dermatologist before trying at home just in case.

Finally, I wondered if pumpkin spice would make me smell ~spooky~ or at the very least like fall, so I wore it as perfume.

I mixed a bit of the spice with water in a shot glass and mixed it together. I then rubbed the concoction on my collar bone, neck and armpits. Then, I asked friends throughout the day if I smelled good (because I thought I did).

My boyfriend said he could definitely smell it. It should be noted that this was immediately after I put it on. Later in the day, my classmates said they didn't smell anything unusual and no one guessed that I was wearing pumpkin spice perfume, so it's either not that strong or wears off quickly. Or maybe my recipe isn't good, which is probably the case.

All in all, pumpkin spice has many uses, especially if you like pain. Seriously, don't rub pumpkin spice on your face if you don't want to burn your skin.

University of Pittsburgh