Pitt kicker Ian Troost takes a stand by kneeling during the national anthem

Nothing but respect for MY walk-on kicker

Pitt football kicker Ian Troost knelt during the national anthem this past weekend against NC State. He later explained that his reasoning for doing so was to raise awareness for the "systematic oppression" minorities in America face.

Unless you have barricaded yourself in an apocalyptic fortress with no outside communication, you know that football players across the country have been kneeling during the national anthem. The protests began when Colin Kaeparnick knelt during the national anthem to protest police violence and racism in America.

"My original reasons were Colin’s original reasons," Troost told the Post-Gazette. "To raise awareness of systematic oppression and racial injustice in the United States that we often see through police brutality or the excessive use of force."

Wet Hot American Summer #Camp #Points

A post shared by Ian Troost (@iantroost) on Aug 16, 2017 at 10:52am PDT

After the game, the Pitt sent a short but succinct response regarding Troost's decision to kneel. "The University respects our students' rights for free expression," it read.

Pitt's head coach, Pat Narduzzi, also supports Troost's decision. “I’m never going to tell a guy you can’t do something," Narduzzi told TribLive.

"What we’ve talked about is, if you’re going to do that, you’re trying to make a statement, we’re going to stick together," said Narduzzi-uzzi. "Someone had his hand on his shoulder saying, ‘We’re with you.’”

That said, the response has not been entirely positive. The day after Troost kneeled during the anthem, people on Twitter began attacking him.

Craig Meyer, a reporter for the Post-Gazette, compiled a series of photos to showcase what Troost's mentions looked like following Saturday's game.

"You are a grade A ass clown for not standing," wrote one user. "You mean nothing to the team you punk ass pussy." Another user blamed Pitt's loss to NC State on Troost for his "pathetic disrespect of America."

Troost was called a "fucking Nazi," "clueless millennial," and a "disgrace," among other things.

Some say that Troost should be going out and "taking action," and not just kneeling for "fame." Maybe Troost isn't leading the march on the Capitol Hill, but kneeling in solidarity and bringing the issue to the collegiate level is a damn good start.

Nothing but respect for MY kicker.

University of Pittsburgh american football politics