Pitt Panthers’ survival guide to finding the right rental

Here’s a guideline to finding the right apartment for you in Oakland

Okay, so we’re all super broke college kids, who really don’t have any sort of stable income yet.
You might be asking yourself: how the hell are we supposed to find a nice, decent place to live off campus, that’s still cheap and affordable?

When I first moved off Pitt’s on campus housing, (bye Towers and Ruskin Hall!) I didn’t really know what to be looking for in my rental search. And once you sign a lease it’s a done deal, and it’s hard to get out of that contract once you commit. Hopefully with the help of this list you and other new incoming students don’t make the same mistakes I did when I moved into my first rental.

The basics (DUH):

Do research

There are many different ways of finding out about good rentals that have available space. Word of mouth is a give in, but there are a few key links I added to the end of this page to help you move along in your search.

Go on tours

Looking at pictures online don’t always do justice, looking at a place in person will give you a better feel of what it will actually be like when you’re living there.

Plan ahead

Don’t get stuck searching for somewhere to live at the last minute- most of the better options will already be taken.

Ask yourself relevant questions

Even though the spring and summer weather is nice now, think about when you’ll have to be traveling in Pittsburgh’s crazy rainy and snowy weather. How far is the property from Pitt’s campus? Is it within walking distance? If not, is there a Port Authority or Pitt shuttle bus that you can easily take to class?

Are utilities included or excluded from the monthly rent?

How many people do you prefer to live with? Would you rather live by yourself, in a huge group house with tons of different people, or somewhere in between?

No one wants to make a far trip when they are hangry… hungry & angry at the same time, as well as being exhausted after a long day of classes and school work. Are there grocery stores, restaurants and cafes in walking distance?

Does the apartment have communal kitchen, bathrooms and bedroom spaces? Or individual living areas for each renter? Is furniture included or excluded? Is moving furniture in and out of the place going to be a difficult issue, perhaps if you don’t own a car?Things you might not of thought of (and I didn’t either!):

Does your bedroom/living space have a closet, built in shelving, or adequate space for storage and all of your clothes, as well as additional other personal belongings?

Are the other roomies and house mates that you will be living with share common mannerisms and interests? Are you all naturally either clean or messy people? Are you going to live in a smoking or nonsmoking house? Are you pet friendly, or have dander allergies?

Ask past tenants, is the landlord responsive to issues with housing? Do they fix problems you encounter with your place, or deduct payment from rent if you fix up obstacles by yourself? Does the property seem livable and up to date? Are there bugs, leaks, and/or mold that may not be easily visible at first glance on a quick tour?

Is there extra security? Is there only one key for the front door, or are individual tenant also provided keys and locks for their own bedrooms as a safety and security feature?

Here are some helpful links to help you start your rental search, good luck!

Pitt’s Off Campus Rental Listings

ABODO Oakland Housing which has a great map view feature to easily locate close by housing

CMU’s Off Campus Services

Pittsburgh Craigslist: specifically for Oakland available rentals

University of Pittsburgh