Your guide to a cheap winter weekend in Pittsburgh

Most of these are free with a Pitt ID

If you have ever had friends or family visit, you understand the stress of entertaining people for an entire weekend. The good thing is that your University and your city has your back. There are a few steps you need to take to accomplish this, but they’re easy and can guarantee a super fun weekend!

The first thing you need to do is borrow a friend’s ID. Pitt ID’s will get you into so many places for free, and making your friend pay while you slide past is not the best thing to do. So to avoid this awkward in counter, ask a friend with a relatively similar appearance (the picture does not matter for most places) for their ID for the weekend.

Friday Options:

Ice Skating Downtown

The rink at PPG place is small, but circles a pretty huge Christmas tree. Sadly this is not free, but it’s definitely worth it.

The Mattress Factory

This modern art museum is free with an ID, and gets pretty busy on weekends, so get there before the crowd. KEEP IN MIND: They close at 5pm and the 54 is the only direct bus there.

Market Square

Downtown is pretty, but Market Square is by far my favorite. There are restaurants, bars, and coffee shops that seem like a quaint spot in between all of the sky scrapers.

The Point

The fountain typically won’t be turned on, but all three rivers meeting is a nice view and the Incline, and Heinz Stadium are great sights with or without the high tech fountain.

Go to the Cathedral!

Though this part might be boring for you, no one should visit Pitt without meeting Cathy and the Cathedral is impressive to most. Also, the nationality rooms are locked on Saturday and Sundays so make sure you get there before they lock all of the coolest places!

The Incline

The ride up is free with a Pitt ID, and the view is with the rickety trip up! There is also an even better photo op if you walk out of the building to the right, and go down the road a bit at the “Point of View” statue.

Dinner on Mount Washington

If you’re looking for some fancy living, make a reservation at one of the restaurants that overlook the city on top of Mount Washington. Be warned: THIS ONE IS ACTUALLY EXPENSIVE, but maybe mom and dad will foot the bill.

Saturday Options:

Schenley Park

A nice walk through Schenley will relax anyone (even if this person is hungover). Go down to Panther Hollow to really impress them, and don’t pass up the visitor’s center. They have nice restrooms, and free water!

Phipps Conservatory

Photo by: Tyler Amsbaugh

During Christmas the Phipps show is INCREDIBLE at night and it’s free with a Pitt ID, so don’t let your friend miss out!

Eat at Conflict Kitchen 

This is one of the most unique restaurants Oakland has and it is usually not too bad on the wallet, so try it out!

Check out the Pitt Arts Site 

If you and your visitors are artsy at all, Pitt arts gives out tickets to great events. A lot of them even give you free dinner. Make sure you check this out ahead of time though, because their events sell out fast.

Go to a Game

Pittsburgh has too many sports teams to not appease your sports fan friends. They are going to be pricey, but why not!

There is always a concert

There is never a weekend in Pittsburgh where there is not a concert going on. Check out the venues in South side for somewhere offbeat and cheap!

Sunday Options:

The Strip District

Though Saturdays are typically the busiest time in the strip district, I think grabbing breakfast in the Strip is the perfect way to end a weekend visit. The hottest places to go are Pamela’s and DeLuca’s, but if you want to skip the 45 minute wait, go to Kelly-O’s. And the earlier you go the busier it will be – around 2 or 3 it dies out.

The Last Step: Tearful goodbyes

Now that you’ve had your great weekend catching up and seeing the city, it is time to get back to your busy college life. Make sure they know their way home, and get yourself to Hillman to catch up on all the stuff you procrastinated on!

University of Pittsburgh Hide Images