All the places you can study for finals at Pitt, that aren’t Hillman

It’s a battlefield out here

It snowed yesterday, and it’s supposed to snow tomorrow. Hillman and Cathy are notorious for not having many open spaces to study on random weekdays, let alone anytime during finals week. Besides, you don’t want to leave the warmth of your apartment to get to get a crappy spot or no spot at all.

Here are some spots you can count on, and some tips for studying at home.

The Ballrooms

One of the greatest things our school does is open up the ballrooms in the William Pitt Union and The O’Hara Student Center for finals cramming. Also, the cafeteria/ Nordy’s place is a paradise of open tables.

Falk Library

If you’re the type that typically goes to the “quiet study only” floor of Hillman, Falk is your place. It’s so quiet I felt like I was disturbing everyone simply by walking through – you may want to tip-toe (just FYI, if you go to any of the other 16 libraries on campus that aren’t Hillman, there are usually study spots available).

Market

I know, I know, I can already hear the arguments against finding spots in Market, but if you don’t go at a major meal time, usually you’ll be able to find a nice spot with an outlet. If you like a little background noise, all the desserts you can eat, and don’t mind that weird Market-to-Go stench, this may be the optimal spot for you. Go ahead, you deserve another bowl of ice cream after that grueling twenty minutes of work (and say hi to Ophelia for me).

The Pete

For those of you living up the hill, The Pete is WIDE OPEN. I wonder why more people don’t know about that? Probably because people don’t work out during finals due to the fact calories don’t count this week.

The University Store on Fifth

What are you talking about? There is nowhere to study there. Well the space is small, but usually has open study spots. It is especially quiet during finals week because if they haven’t purchased their books by now, I doubt they’ll ever buy them.

The Swanson School of Engineering

Though you may not have much luck in Swanson’s Library, you can’t go wrong with walking around the building until you stumble upon a great study space.

If you’re super duper set on staying warm, here are some tips to help you study better at home:

Background noise

Studies show that optimal studying background noise varies from person to person. Try and think about where you do work best. I like to look up coffee shop background noises, and adjust my volume accordingly.

Clean

Everyone studies better in a nice, clean, living environment.

Place yourself correctly

Your brain associates your home with relaxation, so try not to study in your bed. It may be helpful to designate a certain area of your home strictly for studying. I am neurotic, so I even try not to watch youtube videos, Netflix, or even eat at my desk.

Grab your roommate

One theory of studying is that humans are more productive when working in the presence of others. I know I do because I like to portray the appearance of being a smart and hard worker, when I’m actually stupid, fat, and lazy (not sure what ‘fat’ had to do with that, just thought it was necessary that you knew).

Though I just pretend to be a hard worker in public, by pretending, I actually get work done. If you have a roommate, it might be nice to do work with them. Show them how much smarter and how much harder you work than they do. If you live alone, um, uhh, throw a video of people working up on the TV, that might do something, maybe, possibly.

Set deadlines for yourself

If you tell yourself “I am gonna get this much done in this amount of time,” it’ll give you a sense of urgency and keep you focused. It’ll give you that “Oh s**t I need to stop looking at my Anthropology professor’s Facebook pictures and get this done.” Even if you don’t finish in the time you set, at least you kept yourself more focused.

University of Pittsburgh