Check out this secret gem outside of Oakland

It’s a safe haven for artists

While I was walking around in the rain, I stumbled upon a great surprise. In the middle of a small alley filled with auto body shops and warehouses of a neighborhood called Homewood, I came across an amazing safe haven for artists who struggle to express themselves lawfully.

Although graffiti is mostly known for being a crime, these walls were legal ones. The painters were given permission, as they are well-respected artists within the community. Some vandals may say legal walls can take away from the thrill and mystery of hiding actions from other civilians and police, but places like these allow street artists to showcase their best masterpieces without having to worry about dodging jail time for expressing their creative abilities.

What once used to be a drab cement box has been transformed into a colorful masterpiece by various graffiti artists of Pittsburgh. An ugly alleyway was turned into an artistic and cultural hub of a community, creating a great space for photo shoots, local events and much more.

It is a great location to go and visit but leave your spray paint at home. Scribbling over the bigger works of art on these walls would show disrespect towards the vandals who spent a lot of time and effort making these walls look beautiful.

University of Pittsburgh