Arrests, scalping and heat exhaustion: Everything that happened at the Penn State game

We talked to a spokesperson from PGH Public Safety

According to a spokesperson from PGH Public Safety, there were multiple arrests and a high volume of medical emergencies at yesterday’s game against Penn State.

Spokeswoman Emily Schaffer told The Tab that inside Heinz Field and at the gates, police incidents included one domestic arrest, one indecent assault arrest and 21 scalping citations. Outside the field, the police reported one arrest for intoxication, disorderly conduct and defiant trespass. The EMS Medical treatments included 129 EMS responses.

According to Schaffer, most of the calls for assistance were heat related with some calls involving excessive alcohol and/or falls. Of  129 patients seen, there were a total of 31 transports to local hospitals, none of which were serious. Pitt Police, County Police, County Sheriffs, State Police and the FBI assisted with yesterday’s game. Additionally, multiple local neighboring EMS agencies assisted with the high call volume for medical emergencies.

The loot of incidents adds to the history made at Heinz Field this weekend. Penn State fell to our fists, and we partied hard – a bit too hard.

The bars were as packed.

Senior, Mike Pinto, said: “It was amazing – the crowds were so big the police had to close the street, every porch was full of people, and “fuck Penn state” chants were as spontaneous as they were numerous. It felt like everyone was celebrating as one big Pitt family!”

Joe Feigin, a junior at Pitt, said: “Meyran was literally crawling with police and people. You could barely walk a foot without seeing a drunk college kid or an angry cop.”

Alex Fisher, another junior, said: “There were thousands of people out on the streets. Cops were breaking up large groups of people drinking on the street.”

It wasn’t all fun and games, though.

On Oakland Avenue, I found that a female sophomore was taken to the hospital around midnight in an ambulance due to over-drinking. I arrived after she had been put into the ambulance, and spoke to her roommate who explained to me that she had been found unconscious at a party.

Her roommates promptly called 911. An ambulance and fire engine arrived on the scene soon after.

She has since been discharged and is OK, according to her roommate.

“Fuck Penn State” and “Sweet Caroline” could be heard from nearly every corner of Oakland, PA.

Everything seems to be settling down after quite the eventful Saturday, and we crushed Penn State like champs.

Hail to Pitt, and drink responsibly.

University of Pittsburgh