What we should expect from season six of American Horror Story

The new season of American Horror Story could be an even bigger let down than Freak Show

An American Horror Story obsession is no joke. Coming from someone that was hooked since the first teaser commercial for Murder House, I can speak from experience when I say before a new season is announced the rumors constantly send me on emotional roller coaster.

The rumors for the new season have been pouring out since the beginning of Hotel, because (if you didn’t know) each season has hidden clues as to the next. Ideas of orphanage, and back woods had me too excited, but then Ryan Murphy, the genius behind the series, spoke at PaleyFest. Murphy’s statement was that season six will be a mix of two themes, Opera, and, as quoted by Matt Molgaard, “the innocence of children, and their wide-eyed way into [horror].” Sound familiar?

Like all of the seasons so far, it has potential, however I cannot help but be disappointed, and a little pissed. Murphy is claiming that this is a new move for the show, however season 5 was 80% about child abduction. There was even an entire story line about vampire kids and their innocent struggles for the need of blood.

Don’t get me wrong I adored Hotel, but the reason we all love AHS is that it changes, gets crazier, and have never been seen before. Molgaard frames this mix of ideas as fascinating and could be related to Phantom of The Opera. However, I would go as far to say the relation to the classic musical makes the idea anything but fascinating, and could end up being a total rip off.

Inside I am praying that Murphy magically makes this season amazing, but his track record with every other season being a disappointment may continue. Come on Murphy – I got way too many people hooked on your show for you to let me down like you did with Freak Show, again.

The confirmed cast list is Lady Gaga, Kathy Bates, Denis O’Hare, Angela Bassett, Sarah Paulson, Finn Wittrock, Wes Bentley, Cheyenne Jackson, and Matt Bomer. Which tells me all of my beloveds are coming back, but still missing a few that have consistently been my favorite characters. For example, Lily Rabe, who was cast as a serial killer in Hotel, but was only in a few episodes. Her rendition of the swamp witch that could resurrect the dead, in Coven, was legendary, and we need her back. And do I even have to ask about Evan Peters… Come on!

Lily Rabe

Who knows – maybe Murphy will make me fall in love one more time, but I am worried that six seasons might be the limit. Becca Murphy, a writer for the A.V. Club, states “Unless American Horror Story stops repeating itself it should end.”

I would agree, even though it would break my heart. Please, Murphy for the sake of a die-hard fan’s sanity, go even crazier, and if you are going to end the show, finish strong! I love American Horror Story too much to see it go out with a whimper like it would if this season is just a gorier rendition of The Phantom of The Opera.

Lastly, for the love of god, bring Evan back for season 6.

Evan Peters

University of Pittsburgh ahs american horror story college expect expectations pitt pittsburgh season 6 student