Penn State alumni rally together to help those displaced by Hurricane Harvey

They are ‘ready and able to host anyone who has been displaced by the storms’

Hurricane Harvey has wreaked havoc on much of Texas and Louisiana in the past week, with devastating blows to each state and the people that reside there.

According to AccuWeather, Harvey has quickly become one of the worst tropical systems to hit the United States in years. It has broken the Texas tropical cyclone rainfall record of about 25 inches of rainfall within the first three days, along with 19 tornadoes reported along the Gulf Coast on August 25th and 26th.

In classic Penn State fashion, many alumni have jumped on the wagon to help with relief efforts for fellow alumni and others living in the Houston, Texas area.

“The Power of the Penn State Network is not solely focused on career and professional advancement,” Paul Clifford, Associate Vice President and Chief Executive Officer of the Penn State Alumni Association stated in an article he wrote for Linkedin. “We also come together in times of need to help fellow Penn Staters.”

In this article, he states various ways for alumni and students alike to support relief efforts.

The first thing anyone can do to support the cause is to text donations to the Red Cross and United Way. For the Red Cross, text HARVEY to 90999 to make an immediate $10 donation. For United Way, text UWFLOOD to 41444 to make an immediate gift to their flood relief fund. You can also go online at redcross.org, helpsalvationarmy.org, or nvoad.org to make donations to these organizations working on the front line to help those effected by this tragedy.

For alumni who are a part of the Houston Penn State Alumni chapter or live in the Houston area, you can support the following organizations in their efforts immediately: The City of Houston Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund, YouCaring Harvey Relief Fund- By JJ Watt, Disaster Aid USA by the Rotary Club, and the Houston Food and Diaper Bank.

Clifford’s article also had a message for those affected in Texas from the Central Texas Penn State Chapter.

“WE ARE ready and able to host any displaced families that can evacuate to Austin and need a place to stay," he wrote. "Please spread the word to our Houston alumni."

"If you have extra space in your house, please let us know so we can continue to grow our list of available temporary housing that we can offer to alums,” Clifford said.

To contact the Penn State Houston chapter, find them on Facebook, where multiple links can be found to support those who have been devastated by this natural disaster.

Penn State