It’s official: The Phyrst is one of the best trash bars in America

The most popular drink is literally called a Trash Can

Every Penn Stater knows The Phyrst, whether you’re an underclassman dreaming of the day you can walk through that huge wooden door or you’re a washed up alumni feeding off the nostalgia, The Phyrst is easily the most popular bar downtown—it’s also one of the trashiest.

The Tab asked schools across America to vote for what they think is the “best trash bar” from sea to shining sea, and with no surprise, The Phyrst found itself in the top ten, coming in at number nine.

This is how the rest of the top ten stacked up:

#1 Fat Daddy’s at University of Florida

#2 The Pickle at UW-Eau Claire

#3 Midway at Ohio State

#4 Pot’s at Florida State

#5 Red Shed at UW-Madison

#6 Nephews at Texas State

#7 Nickle at UConn

#8 The Boot at Tulane

#9 The Phyrst at Penn State

#10 The Union Bar at Iowa

Here’s what we think of The Phyrst:

The Phyrst is every Penn Stater’s rite of passage – it’s the first bar practically everyone goes to the moment they turn 21 to get that lime green leprechaun hat – but, it loses its luster pretty quickly. It may have live bands every night, but the playlists are generally strictly 90s, so if you want to hear Counting Crows on repeat it’s definitely the place to be. They also have one of the best happy hours in all of downtown. Who wouldn’t want a half-off trash can? But there is cover every damn night of the week and even though most of us are willing to spend all of our life savings at the bars, there’s just something about having to pay cover that automatically pisses us off. The Phyrst does always has a great crowd though, even though half of the time it is filled with alumni trying to relive their glory days. Luckily, that sometimes comes with a free round of drinks on them, which makes everything worth it.

The Phyrst, we love to hate you… but mostly we love you and will definitely be there for Happy Hour tonight, trashcan in hand, singing Teenage Dirtbag at the top of our lungs.

Penn State