The stages of going out at PSU based on what year you are

They all have one thing in common: excessive drinking

No matter your year, weekends in Happy Valley are meant for drinking in excess. After a week’s worth of studying well into the morning, you deserve a night or two off to drink until 2am, abuse your debit card and wake up in a pile of left-over drunk food. It’s not always the most glamorous lifestyle, but it’s the life of a Penn State student.

However, going out freshman year looks completely different than when you are in your final semester. Here is a breakdown of what your weekend is looking like depending on your year.

Freshman year

If you’re a freshman, there’s no doubt you’ve spent your fair share of drunken evenings in the frats. This is pretty much the only option for you, unless you’re lucky and have an older sibling or friend who can hook you up with a party or a six-pack. Every Friday is spent strapping on the highest heels that you can manage to walk in from East Halls to Shortlidge (or packed into the White Loop) and finally to your destination — Frat Row. You better hope your girl to guy ratio is pretty high or getting those two cans of Natty from the brother behind the bar will prove to be a little difficult. 

Sophomore year

The awkward phase of going out. You’re not quite old enough to go to the bars, but you’ve completely exhausted the option of spending another night in a beer and sweat encrusted dance floor of a frat. On the plus side, you probably live in an apartment now, and as long as you can get the alc hook-up, you can pretty much party anywhere downtown. But, if you’re not into throwing a party at your own place (who wants to clean up after that?) you always have to be on the lookout for a place to go, and sometimes things can fall through which sucks because all you’re trying to do is drink.

Junior year

The holy grail. You’ll finally turn 21 this year and have access to all the bars downtown. Hopefully, you’re not the last of your friends to turn 21, because watching everyone go to the Phyrst without you blows. However, it all becomes worth it when it’s finally your turn, and you are crowned with that lucky green hat at midnight. You can now go out literally whenever and wherever you want. No more waiting for an invite or wondering if the jungle juice will last until you get there. Bliss.

Senior year

Frats, apartment parties, bars – you’ve seen it all. And sometimes, even though you never thought you’d say it, you just want to stay in for a night and relax with some (read: an entire bottle of) wine. Maybe you’ll finally binge watch that show you can’t find the time to treat yourself to during the week, or maybe you’ll play Cards Against Humanity all night with your friends. Either way, you don’t consider missing a night out a loss. Sometimes, you just need to drink in sweatpants and thank the world that you’re not standing in a two-hour line for the Gaff.

No matter where you go out on the weekend, one thing’s for certain, a night out in Happy Valley is never boring. Here’s to drinks, drunk food and spending money we don’t have.

Penn State