The perfect songs for all stages of finals week

Now you can’t procrastinate by making a playlist, sorry

At this point, you’re probably dreaming of the moment that you can escape State College. I know, it’s hard to admit, but it’s not like you can go to the Gaff or Phyrst happy hour when you have mountains of work waiting for you to do in the stacks, so what’s the point? Besides, dreaming going home to your bed and home-cooked meals is about to become a reality—a much-needed break.

The only thing standing in your way is finals week. It’s a huge hurtle, but it’s also the last one. Here is a playlist with songs to get you through most of the situations finals will throw at you.

Songs for when you simply can’t get out of bed

Easily the worst part of your day. You probably didn’t get that much sleep anyway, because it feels like you might be the only one in your two-bedroom apartment crammed with five people, who has finals. How is that fair? You need a pick-me-up, fast. Why not start off with a classic? “Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go” by Wham! will have you dancing across Old Main lawn on your way to the HUB to study. Same with Hall & Oates’s, “You Make My Dreams Come True.” You’ll be day-dreaming just like Tom Hansen in 500 Days of Summer, even though your dreams are no doubt about to be crushed by that Physics 250 exam.

Music about being dressed to the nines

Penn State is probably the least fashionable university out there. I’d like to say that on a normal week, people are dressed up, but most of us seem to wear the same classic PSU uniform: black leggings, high socks, and an oversized Penn State crew neck. But you know what? You still look hot. That’s why you need to listen to the Justin Timberlake and Jay-Z combo, “Suit & Tie” and “Fashion Killa” by A$AP Rocky. Looking good starts on the inside, no?

When morale is at a zero

You’re going to hit a wall and it’s going to be nearly impossible to get over it. What’s APA style again? How am I supposed to fit a semester’s worth of BIOL 110 notes into a five-page paper? Why is getting a Bachelor’s degree so difficult? To answer all these questions, you’re going to need a little mood music. Something like, “All Star” by Smash Mouth or “Come On Eileen” by Dexys Midnight Runners. Because if Eileen can put on that dress and get shit done, so can you.

For when you’re really in the study zone

Finally, you’re posted up in the stacks. It’s quiet and it’s time to focus. If you’re one of those people who can’t study and listen to music with lyrics at the same time, we’ve got you covered. Christmas is right around the corner, so you might as well listen to the entire “Nutcracker Suite” by Tchaikovsky. It’ll give you a little over an hour of uninterrupted studying time, so resist the urge to check your phone a million times. It’s time to zero-in and get to work.

Theme music for when you’re awaiting your fate

You’re sitting in a random classroom that took you forever to find because, during finals week, Penn State hates keeping the same room you’ve always gone to for class. If you’re like me, you got there obnoxiously early because the anxiety of not finding the classroom coupled with the stress of the actual exam was just too much. To curb some of the stress and fill the extra twenty minutes you bought yourself, it’s time to listen to some Kanye to get you pumped up. Kanye’s “Champion” is going to tell you exactly what you are: a champion. You can do this. You’ve sacrificed going to Saloon for a 5 dollar Monkey Boy for this. And when you finally walk into the classroom, switch on “Waves” because the lyrics literally say, “Step up in this bitch like” and in that moment, you are Kanye taking the stage.

Finally, when it’s time to treat yourself

There is nothing like the feeling of your hardest final being out of the way. Whether you think you nailed it or you actually had no idea what was going on, it’s over and that’s all that matters, nothing you can do now—besides treat yourself that is. Run to Irving’s for the breakfast special and make sure to stop in McLanahan’s for that free cup of coffee. For moment’s like this, Bruno Mars’s “Treasure” is just the song for you or if you’re more in the mood for a throwback, Stevie Wonder’s “Sir Duke” will make you feel unstoppable. Thank me later.

Now, you can finally enjoy Christmas break. But honestly, who cares about Christmas when you’ll be home to watch the Rose Bowl stress-free, from your couch, (or if you’re lucky enough, Pasadena) without any sort of work looming over your head? Time for some much needed relaxation.

Penn State