Kanye came to Happy Valley, so who’s next?

He may be one of the biggest artists at the BJC, but it doesn’t need to stop there

From the Backstreet Boys to Britney Spears, the Bryson Jordan Center has hosted acts from all over the nation. Being the largest performance arena between Pittsburg and Philadelphia, the BJC gets great acts every year. And this year… we finally got Pablo, Yeezy, the Louis Vuitton Don – Kanye West. Generally, people don’t think that we can get better artists than one of the most well-known rappers of history, but why stop at Kanye? Penn State is a massive university that caters to students from all around the world. Here are some performers that should make the effort to get themselves out to State College.

Chance the Rapper

Chance has just recently come into major spotlight. With his new album Coloring Book, listeners have begun to pour in from all areas of the globe. Lil Chano from 79th takes direct inspiration from Kanye, which is just the reason that having him as a follow up act would be something spectacular. Chance the Rapper notably pours his soul out into every performance and transforms the venue into something beautiful. With one of the most unique and noticeable voices in Hip-hop, he has certainly taken the music industry a peg forward.

Arctic Monkeys

In light of the hip hop and electronic music revolution, alternative rock is becoming less and less popular. The Arctic Monkeys, however, have completely redirected consumer music. This British band has emerged as one of the most prolific and lyrically-innovative groups of the decade, without mentioning vocals that drip with honey. Their broad spectrum of albums is appropriate for any mood, from late-night loving making to drinking beers with some friends on the Jersey shore. They’ve been selling out stadiums across the world for years, and with a new album rumored to come out soon, they would be more than welcome to draw their tour line straight through State College.

Drake

It’s probably time for him to come back. Drizzy is one of the very few artists that can completely switch music styles in between songs. He can seduce your mind with his lyrics of pain just as well as he can get your adrenaline coursing with his inimitable beats. Drake has made his biggest musical breakthrough just recently with “Hotline Bling,” “Jumpman,” and “One Dance.” It’s an understatement to say that this Toronto rapper and ex-Degrassi star has inspired a whole generation of new music.

Louis C.K.

Ancient Greece had philosophers, the voices of the people that didn’t have the authority or respect to speak their mind. Today, we have comedians. And if it doesn’t seem that way, then do us all a favor and immerse yourself in the mind of Louis C.K. His stand-up is some of the most powerful material to ever hit the screens and he has without-a-doubt revolutionized comedy. Someone like Louis would be just perfect for Penn State with his vulgar and realist sets that expose what lies in the back of everyone’s mind.

Kendrick Lamar

Finally, the broke boy from Compton that has the ability to spill his heart onto any stage in America and therefore needs to also make a visit back to Happy Valley. Kendrick evokes social commentary and political perspective through his music with a distinctive power and fashion. He presents his motivation and passion to the masses, and puts the Horatio Alger story to rest. Overall – his aesthetic, voice, and raw emotion tops him as one of the most well-known performers of our age.

Although Kanye West is certainly one of the most well-known acts that the Bryson Jordan Center has ever hosted, it doesn’t have to stop there. Penn State needs to continue this train of talent and only get better.

What do you think?

Penn State