Penn State students get honest about whom they’re voting for

Make the HUB great again

As the presidential race nears its climax, the political atmosphere at Penn State remains diverse in views and enthusiasm – while somehow remaining civil.

You won’t see a giant wall between the booths set up in the HUB in support of Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton, or hear insults being flung back and forth – instead you see student political activists peacefully advocating for their cause.

Cecilia Jewell, a freshman studying biology who will be voting for the first time this year, is well-versed in her knowledge of the presidential candidates.

She pointed out the worst in each candidate saying, “I don’t think Trump has the right temperament to be president at all, but I don’t think we need another Clinton in the White House either.”

Cecilia shares the same frustration as many other Americans and Penn State students in her struggle of choosing who to vote for. It seems that many believe that both candidates are a bad choice.

Some students have come out in support of the third party candidate, Gary Johnson, in an attempt to stray from the choice between a “lesser of two evils,” however when I talked to students on campus, many thought Johnson wouldn’t stand a chance and some had no idea who he even is.

“I know who he (Gary Johnson) is but I don’t think he stands a chance because too many people like Donald Trump,” said Kevin Clark, a junior studying aerospace engineering.

He thinks Johnson is probably negatively affecting the other potential candidates, but still doesn’t have the skill or popularity to be a relevant candidate. “Trump is more popular with this day and age,” said Kevin.

Sam Fusco who is also a junior studying aerospace engineering shares the same support for Trump.

Sam believes Trump stands the best chance because he’s consistent – “He’s been saying the same thing since day one and has something to fall back on,” he said. He thinks that due to recent events, the public may be losing trust in the Clintons.

Students on campus in support of Hillary see things a little differently.

“Overall the media makes it look like Hillary stands the best chance,” said Kayla Wright, a sophomore studying athletic training.

Alanoud Alsubhi who is a freshman international student studying biomedical engineering is a strong supporter of Clinton.

“I think she’s wise. She cares about what she’s saying and she has experience which I think Donald Trump doesn’t have,” said Alanoud.

Despite the varying political perspectives on campus, we are still capable of coming together to have productive debates and discussions about the future leader of our country, which is a quality that many seem to be struggling with during this controversial election.

Penn State