We asked Penn State experts how to protect yourself from sexual assault

There were 12 reported rapes in 2014

Sexual assault happens in college more than it should and it can be hard to tell the warning signs in a risky situation. Obviously it just shouldn’t happen at all, but until then we should all be aware of how we can prevent it.

After meeting with Erin Farley, a programming coordinator for the Women’s Center at Penn State, and Jennifer Pencek who’s also a programming coordinator, I learnt that looking for warning signs and protecting yourself in these situations isn’t black and white.

What are some of the misconceptions about sexual assaults?

There is a misconception that rape starts with a stranger, while this does happen, rape and sexual assault is more common around people who are acquaintances. Most sexual assaults are committed by someone the person knows.

Drugs and, or, alcohol can be involved and a place where they feel safe or have been before can be a common spot.

Are apps or defense mechanisms good ways to prevent assault?

Person to person interaction is the most foolproof method. We find that apps and devices aren’t as effective. Women also feel empowered by self defense courses and defense mechanisms.

What are some key signs to look for when going out?

Know that perpetrators will target someone who seems vulnerable like someone incapacitated by alcohol or new surroundings. Look out for one another and remember that it’s a community effort and it’s your responsibility to intervene and step in.

Be educated and know what to look for such as aggressive behavior or forcing people into doing something that would make them uncomfortable.

What are some steps or ways to intervene in a risky situation?

In our bystander program at Penn State we use three different approach these are direct, distract and delegate.

If you use direct you can intervene directly by approaching someone.

You can also delegate by getting a friend, an RA or calling the police.

If you want to distract you can get someone away from the situation by suggesting another activity such as getting food.

How can people educate themselves about what to look for?

Look for educational programming related to consent, bystander intervention classes. Get involved with student organizations or form one.

Being informed about sexual assaults and knowing what to do in a situation can help, stay alert and watch you and your friends and you’ll be armed with knowledge to prevent risky situations.

Penn State