I used to hate Penn State

I never wanted to go here

I hated it on my first visit. The drive went through beautiful scenery, but it was over 60 miles of scenery. Where was civilization? My gut was already saying no.

My family and I walked around campus, and all I noticed was how boring the buildings (and even the students) looked. Every student donned Penn State gear. Where was the style? The individuality? Even visiting downtown didn’t help.

But I knew the reality of the situation. Before the visit to Penn State, I was set on William and Mary, but after that visit, I had received a letter in the mail. Penn State had selected me to receive a half tuition scholarship. PSU was already cheaper than WM, but now it was just ridiculous. With two younger sisters only two and four years younger than me, I had to make the sensible choice. It’d be too stressful for my parents to pay three kids’ tuitions at once.

So I chose Penn State. At NSO, students told me Penn State was their “dream school,” that they “always knew” they’d end up here. Me? Penn State was my last option. Even so, I showed up on the first day, bright and starry eyed, ready to take on the world. It’s college, after all. It can’t be that bad, right?

I was so wrong. As first semester drew to a close and the newness of college wore off, I started to feel lost. I read the infamous “Don’t come to Penn State” article and things spiraled. I related to the author so much. Where was the culture here? Open mic nights were rare. Fashion was anything Penn State. Every weekend was the same frat party. Downtown was too dead to explore at night. Where was the life?

Everything was the same, and I was boredNo one ever wanted to do anything but party, and I struggled to find other things to do. I was constantly frustrated. I felt that I was going to waste the best four years of my life. I wanted to transfer to a city school, to somewhere with culture and excitement.

Time passed, and second semester came. I was still just as lost, but I made an effort to get involved and see if my feelings changed. I made new friends and joined PSIADA (Model UN). I decided to wear what I wanted, even if my crazy colored hair felt out of place. Eventually, I felt less frustrated.

PSIADA kept me busy doing things that felt worthwhile. I was debating real world issues and going to parties where I could actually get to know people. A new friend introduced me to WORDS, Penn State’s spoken poetry club. Another friend taught me to play billiards in the HUB’s breakroom. We’ve even climbed Mt. Nittany.  A few weekends ago, I even went to a toga party after seeing Smallpools

Penn State may not seem like the perfect fit at first, especially if you aren’t into football and parties. But there’s still so much more! It took time for me, but you have to give it time. I’m not continuing any of the clubs I did first semester, and that’s ok! They just weren’t for me. But I love PSIADA, and WORDS is right up my alley.

The key is to get involved. You have to make the effort, though. Read the flyers. See what’s going on. Go to the involvement fair. Invite your friends to the concerts. Penn State may seem like the middle of nowhere (it is), but there is so much to do.

College is what you make of it, so go out there and create your college experience. 

The view from Mt. Nittany

Penn State