I am Puerto Rican and proud

My culture has made me into the person I am today

AMER (1)

We all have grandparents or ancestors that moved to America for a better life for themselves and their kids. My grandmother Lillian was no exception. Born in Puerto Rico, she moved to New York City at age eleven with her mother and siblings. Her mother, Gloria – my great grandmother – decided to work and become a seamstress. She wanted a better life for her children and wanted them to have a better education. At that time, there were many jobs my great grandmother could choose from. They spoke Spanish and had to adapt quickly to English.

My Grandmother Lillian

They moved to Central Park, where the prices for apartments were affordable. They were used to Puerto Rico, where temperatures stay at 80 degrees and above. Gloria and her children had to get accustomed to the four seasons. They had to make New York City their roots.

My great grandmother Gloria and I

When Lillian grew up she eventually moved to Brooklyn, New York and met my grandfather. They had 4 children: my uncle Charlie, my aunts Yvonne and Diane, and my mother Lilly. While their first language was Spanish, the children learned English quickly.

Throwback: My mom Lilly before she had me

My grandmother always made Spanish food for her children. Household staples included chicken with rice and beans (Arroz con gandules y Pollo), empanadas, a seafood dish that is mixed with rice called paella, fried bananas (tostones). Let’s not forget about the drinks and the desserts – drinks such as coquito, a Puerto Rican eggnog with rum, and flan, a Spanish custard.

Throwback: My dad

When my mom was in high school she met my father Manny. In 1995, I was born in Manhattan, New York and raised in Brooklyn.

Throwback: My dad and I (Can you tell he’s Puerto Rican?)

We lived with my grandmother Lillian in her three-bedroom apartment. My first language was English, and to this day, I can’t speak fluent Spanish – only broken Spanish, or Spanglish. What I was raised with was the magnificent food. I love my heritage and how I was raised.

Left to right: Aunt Diane, Aunt Yvonne, Me, Cousin Rosie, and my mother Lilly

I cannot express how much my culture has made me into the person I am today. I love my roots and all that my family has done. We’re a close-knit family, and when we get together it’s a party. Being a Latina has no words honestly it’s just a feeling – how can you explain being proud? The only way I can explain it is if I tell you to think about your ethnicity. Think about what your parents or grandparents have done, how they sacrificed their lives to give their children and their grandchildren a better life. I am proud of my great grandmother and grandmother, who faced hard times throughout their lives. I am proud of my heritage and I cannot explain it, only feel it in my bones, my heart, and within my soul.

I am Puerto Rican and proud.

Penn State American stories