The day my best friend’s dad got kidnapped in Mexico

Powerless during a nightmare, which lasted seven days

May 23, 2012 is the day when life took a turn. A day that my best friend, her family and I would’ve never expected and will always remember.

At the age of 16, my best friend saw her father’s life on the line.

May 23, 2012

As my best friend and I were getting ready at her house to go out, we were waiting on her dad to call us from Mexico to make sure he got there safely. That night, the call we were waiting for never came.

May 24, 2012

The next morning as we were all panicked, the phone rang – it was her dad calling. He he had kidnapped by a drug cartel in Reynosa, Mexico. After landing in Reynosa, two cars blocked his chauffeur’s car and kidnapped him. He couldn’t talk for a long time and the only message he transmitted us was to call his associate and to stay near to the home phone in case he would call. It was at this instant that the nightmare started.

May 25, 2012

That day was my best friend’s little brother’s birthday. Since it was planned way in advance, we decided to have the party and tried to enjoy it even though deep inside, fear was dominating our thoughts.

As we were stuck powerless in Houston, TX, the kidnappers finally asked for what they wanted all along: a massive amount of money or they would kill him. Each day, we would get one call from my best friend’s dad without knowing his location or at what time he was going to call. The family tried to figure out a way of getting the amount of money they wanted, but it was a difficult task considering the amount they wanted and the logistics to get it.

His wedding ring and belongings got taken away – he was was living in horrible conditions, had no notion of time and was sleep deprived with no ways of escaping.

All of my best friend’s family’s entourage tried to help as well as mine, but once the money was gathered, the nightmare wasn’t over. There was a turning point.

The kidnappers wanted more money. As my best friend’s mom was exhausted from sleepless nights, hopeless and terrified, she had to go through the same process she went through the first time to get what they wanted.

After seven long days, the money was finally gathered and ready to be sent to Mexico. My best friend’s dad was about to be free.

“It was the seven worst days of my life. Waking up every day at 6am, seeing your mom crying with so many things going through your mind, was the worst sensation,” my best friend said.

May 30, 2012

The exchange just happened, he called us safe and was finally free and ready to get on board on his way to Houston, TX. As we were all waiting for him at the house, tears of joy, worry and sadness were running down each of our cheeks, but it was such a relief. As he walked through the door, his family ran towards him and held him tight not wanting to let go. As I was watching this wonderful moment, I held on tight to my dad and cherished that instant.

Life is short and you’ll never know what can happen tomorrow. Appreciate every moment you get with the people that surrounds you.

**As you can understand, I decided not to mention or post any person’s names, cartel’s names, certain details, amount of money or pictures for security and privacy.

Penn State national-us