My guidance counselor told me I’d never get into Penn State

But here I am

I grew up in Brooklyn, NY. Growing up I was always shy and introverted; not really engaging in conversation and really sticking to myself especially throughout high school. I only had a small group of friends throughout high school.

We all were told to get good grades – taught that with good grades we will get into college. The students who achieved higher in their academics were seen as “brilliant”, “smart” or a “nerd.” I wasn’t really a straight “A” student instead, I struggled academically.

I was just focused on my social status rather than school and it harmed my grades. Because of this, many people put me down, telling me what I could and could not do. My dreams seemed like they would never come true – the feeling of discouragement weighed heavily on my shoulders.

Best Friend (High School) Senior Prom

I was told by my advisor that I was never going to make it academically. I was stunned that my advisor didn’t feel as though I would make it to Penn State. Let me just tell you how it went…

At the beginning of my Senior year in high school, I came into my counselor’s office, paper at hand with the list of colleges I would love to attend (Penn State being at the top of the list). As I walked in the office I had a sense of confidence and a smile that glowed. Excited I sat down facing the counselor, ready to start our  conversation. I hand the list to her and she automatically shot down a couple of the colleges I had selected, one of them being Penn State. Immediately I felt confused, angry, and sad. My emotions rushed as if I fell deep into the ocean, unable to breathe! I automatically felt as if I had let my parents down.

I asked why she said “no” to the colleges I had picked. She told me one by one the reason, but for Penn State, she said I wasn’t smart enough… How could someone say that?! I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. I, of course, didn’t really argue back or say anything, instead, I left with my head held low and my dreams crushed. I felt as though everyone knew what she said, I felt paranoid and later I didn’t know what to do, I felt lost. Talking to my parents, they helped lift me back up, telling me that I can still surmount to anything.

Even though I was put down, I never gave up, I let the negatives of what others had to say be the fuel to my fire, and now I am determined to overcome any obstacle.

High School Senior Prom

All through high school, I engaged in many extracurricular activities, I was a member of the Spanish club, part of the Prom Committee, a member of a Catholic Youth Organization, ran track & field, played volleyball, and am a volunteer firefighter. With the help of my parents, friends and a teacher I was able to push myself academically, taking college courses and earning credits toward college. I told myself each day was a new day, that I would never give up, I’d work hard for what I wanted, never let anyone tell me of what I am capable of. This, made me feel pleasantly gratified.

With all the hard work, I decided to add an extra step into my life, deciding to take a leap of faith into playing collegiate volleyball was next on my list before entering college. I made a recruiting website and with a lot of patience and positive energy, a Penn State branch campus had recruited me. It seemed too good to be true, it was a step into not only my dream college but into my sport that I was passionate about and was able to continue to play. Part of my dream had been accomplished, I couldn’t wait for what college had to offer me.

My Best Friend (College)THON

Collegiate Soccer and Softball (Friends who became my family)

College was different, being six hours away from home, on my own, with no rules was great, I felt a bit homesick but adapted quickly to my surroundings. I had more friends than I did in high school, I was surprised by this because I was so shy and didn’t really try to talk to anyone (unless they came up to me and started the conversation).  I engaged in the 2+2 program at Penn State. Since then my freshman and sophomore year was filled with friends, extracurricular activities such as: collegiate volleyball, soccer, softball, intramural soccer and basketball, fitness competitions, becoming a resident assistant, THON, being a Lion ambassador, volunteering at Habitat for humanity, Boy Scouts of America and at a local animal shelter.

With all this, I was still able to keep my GPA up and made it on the dean’s list. I hit my second year and transferred to Penn State main campus, as a Junior this year I am a part of the Kinesiology Club and now a part of The Tab. I didn’t really engage much transferring to the main campus because I wanted to feel out the campus and get comfortable with the transition from a small branch campus to a big campus with 40,000 students. So far I am happy with my achievements, my ambition is what drove me to where I am today and my family and friends are always pushing me to work harder.I have been diligent, persistent, conscientious, and determined. These characteristics have helped me become the person I am today. My high school counselor just added fuel to my fire, building my ambition as I try to show people that I made it, that no one can tell me what I am capable of. Look at me now!

Kinesiology Club, Hiking!

Halloween

My late birthday Party. Taking a selfie as always

Penn State