Everything I wish I knew before transferring colleges

The stuff they should’ve told you

The decision to transfer schools is hard enough, but here’s everything you need to know once you decide to make the change.

1. It’s harder than you think it is

When you make that decision that you need to transfer, stay on top of EVERYTHING! There is a lot of paperwork to transfer colleges. They need your high school transcript, you college transcript, and so much more! Not many people realize how hard it is until they are half way through the process.

2. You are basically starting over again, but with harder classes

You thought transitioning from high school to college was hard? Transferring to another college after having some college years underneath your belt is difficult. You will be thrown into a new environment, with new people, and harder classes. Yes, it may be the right decision to transfer, but you do have to realize that you are not a first year student and you will be taking harder classes.

3. Your GPA may not transfer to the new school

When I transferred to Penn State, my GPA did not transfer but that is okay. You still have your transcript showing your GPA from the previous semesters. Yes, your GPA may suck after your first semester at your new school, but it will go up. You are adjusting to a new environment.

4. Making friends is a lot different than being a freshman

When you are a transfer student, your new pears probably already made there clicks there freshman year of college. You have to get yourself out there from the time you step foot on your new campus. Join clubs, do things you would of never imaged, and talk to people sitting next to you in class.

5. Make sure what credits transfer before you pick  a new college

Transferring may be the best thing you will ever do, but before you decide on a new school, make sure most of your credits transfer. You will not want to take classes over again because the exact class you took at your old university doesn’t meet the criteria.

6. Talk to a counselor at you old college AND your new college

You want to make sure that the university or college you are thinking about going to has your major that you want. You want to make sure all of your information will go through and it will make your process a little easier.

7. HAVE FUN WITH IT

It may be hard, but in the end, its worth it! you meet a lot of new and different people. The long process is doable and you will be happy that you made the decision.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200932089382482&set=a.2278869109206.64195.1773120652&type=3&theater

Penn State