How to prepare for THON 2016: Advice from a dancer

Advice from a soon to be THON dancer

Dancing in THON is one of the biggest accomplishments a THON volunteer can achieve, but it takes a lot of work and dedication to prepare yourself to stand for 46 hours. As a dancer in THON 2016, I’ve taken the time to focus on physically and mentally preparing myself the best I can. From ditching the pokey stix to getting off the couch from my Netflix-binge to workout, I definitely have had to change my habits.

Penn State is an incredible school with endless opportunities which is one of the main reasons I decided to attend the university. One of these opportunities is to be involved with the largest student-run philanthropy in the world: THON.

Before going here, I had only heard stories and watched videos about THON. But as many know, absolutely nothing can compare to actually being there.

My first THON experience was my freshman year. It was an amazing and incredible time that I got to share with my best friends. After we left, we realized how much the weekend really impacted us.

The next year I decided I wanted to get more involved and tried the committee side of things. I was selected as an R&R committee member. After that THON weekend, my friends and I decided that we wanted to join the fundraising side so we started our own special-interest organization, DASH. I have been an executive board member of DASH for two years and they selected me to represent them on the floor during THON weekend. I can’t think of a better way to end my time in DASH then with this.

After telling my family and friends I was selected to dance in THON 2016, I began planning the steps I needed to take to ensure I would be fully prepared to stand 46 hours that weekend. There is a lot that goes into the preparation for THON, which usually begins a month or so before the big weekend.

Here are 5 important steps that I’ve taken to ensure I am physically and mentally ready come THON weekend!

Diet

Since I received the exciting news I was dancing in THON 2016, I have completely changed my diet and eating habits. I’ve ditched the late-night snacking and opted for more well-balanced meals spread evenly throughout my day. I continuously make an effort to not eat past 7pm, cut out all sweets and incorporate more fruits and vegetables into my diet. Your body thanks you for putting good food into it and I can already tell a difference just in the few, short weeks I’ve started eating cleaner. Packing a lunch every day has helped me not be tempted by some of the unhealthy choices in the Hub!

Caffeine

One of the hardest things about preparing for THON weekend was breaking up with caffeine, especially coffee. Caffeine will not help you THON weekend so it’s best to try to not allow your body to be dependent on it. This was hardest for me because I work at a cafe where I drank coffee every single day, multiple times a day. I I also cut out soda and have replaced it with more water and caffeine-free tea.

Alcohol

Cutting alcohol out of your life is a big step in preparing yourself for THON weekend. I decided to stop drinking about a month before THON because I didn’t want my body to be worn down and exhausted before I even stepped foot on the floor. You would be surprised to know the differences your body feels when you stop drinking. You lose weight, sleep better and are more productive. An added bonus for cutting alcohol out of your life is you no longer spend your Saturday and Sunday mornings feeling hungover, groggy and tired!

Exercise

Working out has become a daily thing for me now that I’ve been selected to dance in THON. Between my busy schedule, I try to plan to workout  1-2 times a day, 6 days a week. I’ve been focusing a lot on cardio and strength training to help my legs and lower back. Anyone dancing in THON should really take up a workout regime to make sure they feel physically fit enough to withstand the 46 hours on the floor. I wake up and stretch every morning and it’s important to stretch before and after your workouts so I always make sure to not skip on that!

Hydration/Rest

In my opinion, sleep is the most important part of my THON weekend training! During my training for THON weekend, I’ve been focusing on getting more sleep and hydrating myself more! I aim for seven to eight hours a night and drink a minimum of eight glasses of water a day. Getting to bed early and hydrating myself has made a world’s difference and will definitely help me during THON weekend.

Training for THON hasn’t been easy and a lot of sacrifices have been made, but I know that they will help me be the most prepared when it comes time to stand THON weekend. I am honored to have been selected to dance for an organization that has meant so much to me the past two years. I am confident that with the training I am doing and the different ways I am preparing my mind and body, I won’t let DASH down.

Penn State