What do Penn Staters associate with your name?

Because everyone knows Steves are psychos

There’s a lot that goes into a name. Some people may believe names don’t matter but here at a school of over 40,000 there’s a ton of name overlap. Just think about how your professor with four Kellies in one class feels.

As if remembering someone’s name isn’t already hard enough, you may meet a Cait, Kaitlyn and Katie all at the same party.

And nothing’s worse than when you meet a really horrible [insert name here] and they just ruin all the rest of the [insert name here] you’ll ever meet.

Maybe you’ve logged on to Urban Dictionary at 2am wondering if your name has any hilarious or hidden connotation.

Maybe you’ve met someone for the first time and thought about their name and what it means.

We asked you what you thought of popular names at Penn State and your impression of these people. Here are your responses.

The guys

Tyler

Tyler is most likely the popular guy, but he might also be more independent which makes him mysterious.

“Tyler is very chill and down to earth, he fits in with the crowd, but he’s also a loner.” (Kaitlyn Maliszweski, Sophomore, Secondary Education)

There was also the suggestion Tyler may also have a bad boy side.

“I feel like Tyler is a total badass, it’s a badboy name.” (Kelly Whittle, Senior, Psychology)

Jake

Everyone knows a Jake and he usually has a sense of a humor. According to Urban Dictionary, Jake is usually funny, he’s the guy everyone wants to know.

“Jake is very funny and nice.” (Josie Bachman, Senior)

“Jake is a very nice guy.” (Camryn Mccab, Freshmen)

Meghan Lowry, a senior and Nursing major, said when she hears the name Jake she thinks of “Jake from State Farm.”

Nate

Nate is usually one of the cool kids, but he usually keeps to himself. He may have a funny side too.

“Everyone wants to know about him but he’s reserved. He’s also usually one of the popular kids.” (Kaitlyn Maliszweski & Nicole Avila, Sophomore, Print Journalism)

Students agreed Nate is usually the popular kid, but there is something mysterious about Nate that not a lot of people know about.

Austin

According to Penn State students, Austin is definitely a frat guy.

“Austin is a bit country, he’s also a frat guy and he’s preppy.” (Nicole Avila)

Austin is also typically a good friend.

“Austin usually a frat guy, he’s a popular person and he’s someone people want to be friends with.” (Meghan Lowry, senior, Nursing)

The girls

Jessica or Jess

Although this name is really common students say Jessica is a sweet girl. She can also be a party girl.

“I think Jessica is wild, artsy and energetic.” (Will Barrett, Junior, Telecommunications)

“Jess is a nice funny girl. She’s an outgoing person.” (Nathan Smith, Sophomore, IST)

Sarah

Sarah has class, and is usually pretty cool.

Sarah has a “sophisticated connotation.”  (John Ott, Sophomore, Integrative Arts)

“I generally think Sarahs are kind people, they have a gentle personality.” (Nathan Smith, Sophomore, IST)

Rachel

There’s no doubt about it – Rachel is smart.

“Rachel is on top things and she always gets her work done. You can also trust a Rachel.” (Fernando Posy, senior, Psychology)

Rachel seems to be a go-getter and she gets things done.

“Rachel is a brunette. She seems business savvy and artistic.” (John Ott)

Katie

Everyone knows a Katie at Penn State. She’s at the parties and she seems to know a lot of people.

“Katie is a social butterfly, she is outgoing.” (Eric Petrine, Sophomore, IST)

“Katie is a party-girl, and she’s the flirty type.” (Will Johnson, Junior, Electrical Engineering)

Lastly Katie always seems to be more feminine and girly.

“Katie is a girly-girl, she’s typically not a tomboy.” (Fernando Posy)

So what do your classmates associate with your name? Here’s hoping it’s some classy wine drinking and good grades… or maybe Natty Light and beer pong skills. To each his own.

Penn State