Starbucks vs. Dunkin’: Holiday edition

Grab your North Face and your Uggs, time to be basic

It’s a rare day in State College when you don’t see somebody carrying a cup of coffee on the way to class. Even during the bitterest cold of days, the morning cup isn’t sacrificed. As soon as the limited time flavors pop-up around the holidays, it seems like everyone will wait longer and longer for a prized cup. With several Starbucks locations and one bumping Dunkin’ location, Penn Staters are able to get their fix all over town… but who has the best holiday cup?

I went out and tried them all, each location having their own three specialty flavors. I rated each drink on a scale of 1-5 using this criterion: the effort put into making my brew, the consistency of the drink, the perfect sip, and the overall quality.

With a full bladder and slight heart palpitations, this is what I found out.

Starbucks

Hand-crafted and made just for you.

Chestnut Praline Latte:

Effort: 5/5

Someone took the time to gingerly top this with whipped cream and cinnamon.

Consistency: 5/5

Thick and smooth, the perfect drink to soothe a sore throat or clear out your sinuses. (ew)

Perfect Sip: 3/5

Way too hot. It burnt my tongue, which is something I won’t soon forget.

Overall: 4/5

The Chestnut Praline Latte was definitely the best drink that Starbucks had to offer. It tasted like building a gingerbread house with your grandma and that will never be a bad thing.

Peppermint Mocha:

Effort: 3/5

I feel like by the end of the season, every Starbucks employee is sick of hearing the words Peppermint and Mocha. I see right through your chocolate syrup drizzle.

Consistency: 5/5

They’ve really nailed the ratio in this one. Not quite hot chocolate, not quite coffee, but no one is mad about it.

Perfect Sip: 5/5

Tastes like you’re home, you know?

Overall: 5/5

You can’t fight a good thing. You might pretend to hate that this drink arrives two months early every year, but do you really?

Caramel Brulee Latte:

Effort: 3/5

Topped with a dollop of whipped cream, topped with some halfway-melted, chewy, caramel-shards.

Consistency: 3/5

Super sweet at the top and a little bitter towards the bottom.

Perfect Sip: 2/5

Face puckering sweet.

Overall: 3/5

If you’re the Pillsbury dough boy looking for an afternoon pick me up, you might have found your perfect cup, but otherwise steer clear.

Dunkin’ Donuts

That quick cup, though.

Snickerdoodle:

Effort: 2/5

But then again, how hard is it to put some syrup in a cup.

Consistency: 5/5

Well mixed and smooth through and through.

Perfect sip: 5/5

Despite it being iced coffee, it some howmanaged to warm me up.

Overall: 5/5

By far my favorite holiday Dunkin’ drink, even the day I heard it was back I ran out my door for some more.

Peppermint Mocha:

Effort: 3/5

I mean, there is not one, but TWO different syrups in this guy.

Consistency: 3/5

All of the mocha was at the bottom. I had to really whirl my straw around in there to make it even partially even.

Perfect sip: 4/5

It’s what you wanted and it’s what you got. Maybe missing a bit of the “wow” factor.

Overall: 4/5

You can’t hide from the deliciousness. It’ll always be there for you, causing you to have nostalgic flashbacks to your first.

Sugar Cookie:

Effort: 2/5

Nothing special.

Consistency: 2/5

All of the syrup was collected at the bottom and this was a huge issue.

Perfect sip: 1/5

Grainy, super sweet, I didn’t even want to take another sip.

Overall: 1/5

It tasted like lotion and I hated it.

By and large, I think Starbucks really knows what’s up when it comes to spreading a cup of holiday cheer, but you’ll definitely pay the price for it. I spent around a total of $15 for three small cups of these coffees. For all three at Dunkin’ I paid around $5 and while they didn’t necessarily look as pretty or well mixed, they’d do the trick for a college kid on a budget.

Let your mom buy you the Starbucks: she misses you and will do anything to spend a little time with you over break.

Penn State