Inspirational Kayla Nakonechni passes away after battle with cancer

‘Life is tough, but I’m tougher’

Penn State alum and former THON dancer, Kayla Nakonechni, lost her battle to cancer this morning after a fight which impacted the entire Penn State and THON communities.

She was diagnosed with cancer in spring of her junior year, shortly after dancing in THON. But she made the most of her situation and went on to inspire many.

Her blog appropriately titled “Life is tough, but I’m tougher” updated her followers on her fight against cancer while also attending Penn State.

Many also followed her journey through the Team Kayla Facebook page.

Kayla graduated in December 2014 and was looking to attend grad school when the cancer came back.

An outpouring on social media with the #TeamKayla paid tribute to the incredible young girl who taught so many what true beauty and strength look like.

Kayla’s friend Julie Graham, Class of ’14, said: “It’s weird to think she danced in THON our junior year and that summer found out she had cancer.

“She was beautiful and compassionate with a contagious smile. Kayla brightened the lives of those she touched and she is a true inspiration to the Penn State community. Kayla truly enjoyed life and her spirit will continue to live on.

“We will fight on for you, Kayla.”

Kayla left an impact on more than just those who had been lucky enough to know her.

We send our deepest condolences to friends and family of Kayla. She will be missed dearly and remembered always.

Penn State