‘Hot’ professor of the week: Dr David Puts

This week, a “hot” professor who teaches about sex, and students who appreciate that

It’s the time of year where students are scrambling for seats in the best classes next semester – a process that would not be complete without first checking RateMyProfessors.com.

But, the focus today is on the often-overlooked “hotness” column. Under this, there is a diagram of a chili pepper, which is either filled in red, or blank, and even sometimes includes fiery hot flames and refers to how “hot” students consider the professor.

At a campus as big as Penn State’s, one better believe that there is a plethora of attractive professors (you know- the ones we stare at and drool over for an entire lecture only to realize we forgot to listen to a thing they said).

Do these professors live up the great expectations of the infamous chili pepper? Do they even have a clue that they were given the rating?

Well the people have spoken and Dr David Puts was one of the many who received the chili pepper rating, flames included.

Dr Puts is an associate professor of anthropology, and according to the department of anthropology website, he studies the neuroendocrine and evolutionary bases of human sexuality and sex differences, with special focus on behavior and psychology.

Students comment things such as: “He’s hot and adorable and funny,“ from one anonymous student, to “Dr. Puts is gorgeous,” from another, and lastly, “Dr. Puts is hot. I’ll give him that.”

Let’s see if he lives up to the expectations. As for the hotness scale, students, you can judge for yourself – you have the power of the infamous red chili pepper, in your hands.

Did you know you about your rating?

Yes, a few people have mentioned it to me over the years.

Do you read your reviews on ‘Rate My Professors’?

Yes, I have before. I am interested in what students think, what they like about my courses, and what I could do to improve them. I realize it’s a somewhat biased sample of mostly people who either really liked or really didn’t like the courses they’re rating, but I’ve still found some helpful information there.

We also get evaluated through Penn State each semester, and I pay more attention to that, because it is a more representative sample and detailed information. I want the students to be interested, though. Part of it is being an educator, and part of it is being an entertainer.

How do you feel knowing you got the chili pepper rating?

It’s not something I think about, but if somebody mentions it, I guess it makes me feel good. Who knows what students are thinking when they give a chili pepper rating, though. I’m much more concerned that I’m doing my job well.

Do you think the chili pepper rating is a good feature to have on the site?

As far as I can tell, the site is really for students, not professors, and if students are interested in this, then sure.

Do you think students cater their class choices based on the chili pepper rating?

Some students said they have taken classes before because the professor was hot. If I was a student I would be more interested in the other aspects of it. I think the chili pepper rating is mostly for fun. It’s a site for students – entertainment, and a venue for them. I doubt it matters too much.

Based on what other professors think: do you think that teachers for the most part should feel honored to have this rating or do you think it is more of an offensive and irrelevant feature to the website?

If it’s on a website for students, it’s OK. If you’re looking at the quality of instruction, it is irrelevant. But, it’s not personally degrading. I could see how some of the comments on the website could be offensive, but it hasn’t been to me.

Penn State