The hidden gem of East Halls

‘I can’t imagine living anywhere else’

Imagine having breathing space in dorms, let alone your own bathroom AND kitchen in freshman year.

On campus housing isn’t always the most luxurious option, especially when it comes to living in East Halls where “dorm room” and “shoe box” are arguably synonymous and the word “supplemental” often brings a sense of dread.

As a freshman, I wasn’t looking forward to having to share a bathroom with 20 other girls, having to be three feet away from my roommate at all times or the painstakingly far walks to basically everything on campus.

When I first got my room assignment for my freshman year I was expecting to be placed into a standard double. However, I ended being put into a quad.

At first, I wasn’t thrilled and didn’t know what to expect. The horror stories of supplemental living that I had heard started filling my head and I couldn’t shake the terror. But those feelings of uncertainty disappeared when I met my roommates and saw my “room” for the first time.

Located in Bigler Hall, the enormous supplemental room features a large bedroom area that comfortably fits four to six people leaving PLENTY of room for activities. Big-ler is right.

Freshman Sam Potts, currently living in the room with two other girls said:“I can’t imagine being in another dorm. I visited a regular dorm in East and was like wow we are so lucky to be in our room. At this point, I couldn’t image living anywhere else.”

One of the worst parts of communal living is the horrendous bathroom conditions. There are always mysterious objects left in the sinks and strange smells. And waiting for a shower is the worst. But with this little East Halls wonderland those of worries of the past.

Sam said: “The best thing is having our own bathroom. It’s pretty nice not having to pass strangers in the hallway in your towel. We do have to clean it ourselves, which can be annoying, but I’ll take that over having to sharing a bathroom any day.”

The room comes with an enormous kitchen area with enough storage to fit all the Ramen and Easy Mac a college kid could dream of. It also comes with a full size fridge, which is a blessing compared to the small and barely functioning micro-fridges most East dorms come with.

(From left to right) Kiley Wolfenstein, Sarah Mallon, Becky Peters and Sarah Joseph lived in the room from 2013-2014

Aside from all the amenities, the best thing about the room is the social aspect. It is a great place to relax and hang out with friends since it’s so spacious.

Former tenant Kiley Wolfenstein, now a junior, said: “This room was a blessing in disguise, really. I mean I met my best friends there. If it wasn’t for supplemental living, I don’t know where I’d be.

“So many people walk by our room and start conversations with us and are amazed at how big our room is. It’s a great conversation starter and a  pretty nice way to make friends.”

(From left to right) Monica Betz, Jenn Starrs, Allison Weston Zemborain and Christine Fay lived in the room from 2014-2015

Current sophomore Jenn Starrs said: “We all LOVE that room.

“Every year we go back and visit. It is so cool to see how the new set of girls decorate and arrange the room to add their own personal touch. They always say how much they love it and couldn’t image living anywhere else.”

Penn State