Penn junior dies after being struck by train

‘Olivia brightened up our days with big heart, glowing smile, and warm hugs’

Penn junior Olivia Kong died yesterday morning after being struck by a SEPTA train around 7am at the 40th Street Station along Market Street in West Philadelphia.

According to police, Kong, 21, jumped into the tracks. She was a student at Wharton and a graduate of Central High school in Philadelphia. She was a member of the Alpha Phi Omega service fraternity.

Source: Olivia Kong’s Facebook page

Penn President Amy Gutmann described Kong as a “bright, well-liked and successful member of our junior class.” Her classmates held a vigil on campus last night.

The Alpha Chi Omega service fraternity posted on Facebook yesterday: “Today we mourn the loss of a dearly loved Brother, Olivia Kong. Always smiling and willing to offer support, Olivia brightened up our days with big heart, glowing smile, and warm hugs. Thank you for the wonderful days we spent in your light, Olivia, we will miss you.”

Clinicians are available for confidential counseling, consultation, and psychotherapy on a walk-in basis or by appointment during office hours. Dial 215-898-7021 for 24/7 assistance.

UPenn: Penn