You don’t have to go crazy on spring break to have the best time

I’m not going to PV this year

Spring Break. It’s a legendary college tradition and a time present in the collective memory of most Americans who attended college. It’s almost here and the stereotypical spring break vacation – a getaway trip to some cheap, beachy paradise where alcohol is free-flowing and clothing is sparse – is on our minds.

Spring Break each year means girls are starving, and boys are hunting for an epic pair of Chubbies swim trunks to show off the six pack they’ve been working on for the past week. For some, spring break is a week long of crazy partying in a foreign country where laws are lax and inhibitions are nonexistent. Spring break is a chance to party like it’s 2016 for an entire week, without the invasion of Penn Police or the stress of a looming school week.

Puerto Vallarta and other Mexican cities of the like are host to thousands of American spring breakers looking for this adventure every year. Students rent huge villas that can house 10-15 each getting all-inclusive packages providing them with meals, drinks, parties and more. The stories that come back from these trips are juicy and provide weeks of conversation. School is hard and tiring, and a week in PV will allow you to forget the first half of the semester -really though, be careful – you might actually forget everything courtesy of a healthy dose of margaritas (aka straight tequila).

But for those that aren’t looking to forget a week of 2016, there are some more low key options available.

This year, my friends and I chose to hit the beach scene – but in a very different way. Heading down to Boca to hang out with the elderly, we opted for a more low key SB’16. With plans to sit on the beach, sit on the beach and…sit on the beach, we expect to put an end to our Vitamin D deficiency.

Emily Diaz, a junior, explains why she chose to take the non-PV route this year for SB. She plans to hit up Rosemary Beach on FL’s west coast with herself and a small group of friends. Crashing at a family friend’s home, the girls plan to tan, sip elegantly on wine and cocktails and take in the warmth. Emily says: “After just getting back from abroad and with the added stress of OCR, it made more sense to have a getaway, relaxing week.”

As fun as Mexico can be, partying with 100+ of your closest friends, the school year has been stressful and extremely busy. Taking the time to chill out and catch up on much needed sleep in the sun is an attractive idea. For myself, also just returned from a semester abroad, the idea of trip where I don’t have to wake up at the crack of dawn to catch a flight or train only to arrive at a mediocre hostel sounds wonderful.

Anna Wilcoxon is thinking along the same lines. Anna is taking a close friend home with her to California and they are planning to explore Cali, hike and maybe have a beer or two. When I asked why she opted out of a PV-like break she broke it down simply: “I wanted to go hiking and didn’t want to pay for PV.” Well put, Anna. A facet of that crazy, wild spring break is the cost. It’s not cheap to fly to another country and party for a week – all that extra guac on the side costs major money.

For those going to PV, have a ball, we’ll see you next year. For Anna, Emily and myself, spring break this year is going to be tranquil and sleep-filled. We are all looking forward to our upcoming trips to escape from the cold and midterms. No matter which route you choose, spring break couldn’t have come sooner.

UPenn: Penn national-us