Why we should all come out for sporting events

At least once

Penn is not known for its sports.

Sure, the Quakers currently share the Ivy League football championship, have won 17 titles, and have been crowned kings in four of the past seven seasons — but ask any Penn student if they knew that and you might be surprised by the answer.

Contrarily, ask them about the stock market, and you’ll be in for much more than what you bargained for. They got that one covered.

But hey, it’s not their fault to be a little behind when it comes to sports. With rushing, OCR, and the constant need to network, it’s understandable why Quakers aren’t always up for the task.

When questioning a friend of mine as to why she’d never been to a football game after three years at Penn, she said, “There’s just no time.” Yale, on the other hand, had over 51,000 fans show up to watch as they lost to Harvard at their last home game (seriously, what do people do at that school anyway?).

It would be nice to have a little more support at Penn sporting events, particularly with famed traditions such as the Toast Toss.

“It’d be nice if more people went out to cheer,” said one Penn athlete, who elected to remain anonymous. “It gives us a lot of energy to keep battling.”

However, he did recognize the other side of the issue. “I do realize that many people are busy and feel like they don’t have time to go to one of our games. But if they give it a shot, they may realize how entertaining it really is.”

That’s all our athletes are asking for, Quakers. A shot. So try it out before saying that it’s not for you.

Sporting events are a fun way to socialize and perhaps de-stress after telling all your friends you failed that Chemistry midterm (though you secretly know you totally aced it and just want to act surprised when you get the grade).

So hurrah, hurrah Pennsylvania! Hurrah for the red and the blue. Put in a little bit of effort and come out and support your crew.

UPenn: Penn