It’s a love-hate relationship: The history behind Oregon’s greatest rivalry

Oregon State Beavers, a.k.a “little brother”

The holidays are approaching fast, and its time to eat up. With Thanksgiving and Black Friday right around the corner, a positive vibe is sweeping through campus despite the immense amount of rain present that plagues the PNW every fall. While most students are focused on clogging their arteries with turkey and mashed potatoes or spending a copious amount of time shopping, die-hard Oregon Duck fans know the real importance of Thanksgiving weekend, the Civil War.

#goducks #2015civilwar #oregonvsoregonstate #oregonfootball #o #beatoregonstate #goducksgo #autzen #quackattack #oregonducks

A post shared by Leslie (@proud_pink_warrior_) on Nov 27, 2015 at 12:13pm PST

The Civil War is one of the oldest college football rivalries in the country, and dates back to 1894. This year marks the 121st anniversary of the classic matchup, and although in Eugene bringing up the outcome of last year's Civil War isn't the best idea, the Beavers finally won and snapped their eight-game losing streak against the Ducks.

This should not come of worry to Duck Fans as Oregon's all-time record against the Beavers is 63-47-10, which sets the odds in our favor. Duck fans should also be excited to see new coach Willie Taggart in his first Civil War as head coach, who will certainly turn on the jets against little brother.

This is also the 3rd anniversary of watching the Civil War with my (unfortunately) beaver buddy in Corvallis, who migrated west with me from Minnesota after highschool. An added suspense of gloating over school pride always fuels our pregame energy prior to the game.

I hope to see school spirit in full-swing next Saturday. We'll be up bright and early to make bad decisions, and I hope fellow students who stick around during break will as well.

Autzen stadium is sure to be flooded with a sea of green and orange, and if you know what's good for you, you'll be wearing green. Bring as much Duck pride as humanely possible as we put a ❌eat down on the ❌eavers. Sco Ducks!

Twitter: @Pjmerk24

University of Oregon