Controversial anti-abortion group set to visit UO this week

Stay away if you don’t like graphic content

Students recieved an email late Monday afternoon regarding a "controversial" speaker that is coming to campus Wednesday and Thursday.

According to an email from The Vice President for Student Life, Dr. R. Kevin Marbury, the group is associated with an anti-aboriton viewpoint. The email warns students that the group will bring visual displays containing "shocking" images to campus.

The email explains that while the university "in no way condones or supports the tactics of this group," they also will not restrict their right to free speech.

Students received an email late Monday afternoon

"The UO in no way condones or supports the tactics of this group, but the university is a public entity and cannot restrict expression on the basis of its viewpoint," said Marbury. "It is important to acknowledge that some speech, even if legal, has the potential to cause anxiety, offend our beliefs, or insult our values."

UO remains a safe place for nonviolent free speech expressions, and those who don't adhere to the standards will be handled separately.

The university encourages students who may be offended to stay away from the EMU Green between 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. both days. A variety of resources will provide free support for students throughout the week.

University of Oregon