The official University of Oregon student dictionary

We’ve got you covered

The first week of classes have begun, meaning the fall term is here in all its glory. Students are back on campus ready to dig deep into classes and have fun with their friends with various events. Fall is also a time that we're reminded of the things that make UO what it is, and how grateful we are for our everyday favorites.

So in case you're feeling a little overwhelmed with the start of the school year, we put together a list of common terms that Ducks use everyday:

Duck: n.

What do both animal and student ducks have in common? They both say 'Quack!'

Actual definition: a waterbird with a broad blunt bill, short legs, webbed feet, and a waddling gait.

Oregon definition: a student at the University of Oregon. Students come from all over the world to become part of the UO family, and the melting pot of interests broaden our horizons.

Knight: n.

Actual definition: (in the Middle Ages) a man who served his sovereign or lord as a mounted soldier in armor. (in the UK) a man awarded a nonhereditary title by the sovereign in recognition of merit or service and entitled to use the honorific “Sir” in front of his name.

Oregon definition: a library students frequent when they need to study. Knight is a popular place to spread out and get organized. The building has multiple floors with quiet spaces and a tutoring center, making it a one-stop shopping for studying.

EMU: n.

Food, friends, activities oh my!

Food, friends, activities oh my!

Actual definition: a large flightless fast-running Australian bird resembling the ostrich, with shaggy gray or brown plumage, bare blue skin on the head and neck, and three-toed feet.

Oregon definition: The Erb Memorial Union. A hub at the center of campus for anyone and everyone. Walk inside the doors and you'll find Chipotle, Starbucks, burgers, and much more. It also has great places to study (big chair, anyone?) and plenty of tables for chatting with friends. Even though it's nothing like emu the bird, it's still famous for the name.

'Sco ducks! n.

Actual definition: idk maybe like something you would shout at an actual duck if it were in your way or trying to steal your food?

Oregon definition: the phrase in which we all chant during every sporting event. We wouldn't be the school we are without it.

Canvas: n.

Actual definition: a strong, coarse unbleached cloth made from hemp, flax, cotton, or a similar yarn, used to make items such as sails and tents and as a surface for oil painting.

Oregon definition: potentially one of the most frustrating things that students encounter on campus. Professors post grades and assignments on the online portal, and even though it's hard to deal with half the time we can't imagine our lives without it.

The Big 4: n.

Actual definition: a term often used to refer to the four major accounting firms: PricewaterhouseCoopers, Ernst & Young, Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Limited, and Klynveld Peat Marwick Goerdeler.

Oregon definition: a fun treat for those of age, the 'Big 4' includes bars Taylor's, Webfoot, Rennie's, and Max's. Make sure you eat first, the hangover is real.

Fly: v.

Actual definition: 1. (of an aircraft or its occupants) travel through the air. 2. move or be hurled quickly through the air.

Oregon definition: the swift movement that we make while running back and forth to class and back to our extracurriculars.

Lillis: n.

Actual definition: maybe your immediate thought was Lilith, the demon??

Oregon definition: arguably one of the most iconic buildings on campus, Lillis is home to the big O that appears in pretty much every photo on Google. It also houses a top-class business program, as well as make for beautiful backdrop for graduation photos.

University of Oregon