Oregon Taxi driver accused of burglary of items worth hundreds of dollars

He’s no longer affiliated with the company

An Oregon Taxi driver has been charged with burglarizing a Eugene apartment. According to the Register Guard, the man who’s  been identified as 30 year-old Joshua Timothy Gilder, allegedly stole an iPad, Apple watch, two expensive pairs of headphones, a backpack, and large amounts of cash before selling them online with a profile of his wife.

Gilder was arrested April 24 when he agreed to meet with a Eugene police detective in the parking lot of BJ’s at the Valley River Center.He was arrested with first-degree burglary and first-degree theft but was released from the Lane County Jail shortly after he was brought to court on Tuesday as described by court records.

According to a ‘probable cause’ affidavit, Gilder was caught on a surveillance camera during the burglary and was recognized by the property manager from the time that he used to live there with his wife and child. He admitted to having “no right to be in the apartment.”

Gilder also admitted in his affidavit that he told the detective how he got into the apartment on April 20, that he slipped in through an unlocked door after holding a door for a couple exiting the stairwell. He entered the property driving an Oregon Taxi, following another car in through the gate.

He also told the detective that he stole the Apple watch and iPad from the nightstand in the bedroom while he took two cellphone covers out of boxes in the kitchen before leaving while wearing a $150 UO backpack. Upon his arrest he gave the detective the Apple watch, one set of headphones and two cellphone cases from the cab before calling his wife, who brought the other set of headphones and the iPad. She hasn’t been charged.

All items have been returned to the victim.

Gilder didn’t file any pleas to charges and is to appear in court again on June 14.

An Oregon Taxi representative has confirmed that Gilder is no longer with the company pending the outcome of this case.

Featured image courtesy of KEZI.com

University of Oregon