BREAKING: Labor dispute protesters are demonstrating on Franklin Boulevard

They’re handing out flyers saying, ‘Shame on the University of Oregon’

A protest surrounding area standard wages and benefits is happening now outside the Franklin building.

Patrons as part of the men and women of the Pacific Northwest Regional Council of Carpenters (PNW Carpenter’s Union) are protesting against subcontractor Ron Rust Drywall Inc and its lack of supporting its workers during work on Oregon’s newest residence hall.

“We’re in a labor dispute with the UO since they don’t provide the area standard wage,” said AJ Indell, one of the council’s protestors.

The scene as pictured from a bus. Photo credit: Emily Hunsinger

This isn’t the first time that the PNW Carpenters Union has heard of labor-related issues with this subcontractor.

“We’ve known Ron Rust Drywall for about 10 years and have had proof from several sources that they aren’t providing the area standard wage,” said PNW Carpenters Union Communications Director Ben Basom.

The flyer being handed out by protestors

Basom also said a similar protest is being held at the Duck Store in Downtown Portland where they’ll also be passing out flyers.

The flyer encourages people to get involved with supporting working families by contacting the school and make sure they are doing their part to ensure all standards are being met.

“The best action I can encourage people to take is to contact the university and keep asking them to make responsible decisions with construction workers,” Basom added.

More to follow.

University of Oregon