Red flag display raises awareness of sexual assault and dating violence

At a school the size of University of Oregon, 3250 students will experience sexual assault on campus

There are hundreds of red flags placed in the lawn between the Knight Library and Lillis business building in an effort to raise awareness about sexual assault.

The flags gave a visual representation of the number of incidents that happen on campus, with the signs around the display adding further details and statistics.

At a school the size of University of Oregon, 3250 students will experience sexual assault on campus. Within that statistic: 1 in 5 women and 1 in 16 men.

Red flags adorn the lawn in front of the Knight Library

The campaign highlighted the fact that non-heterosexuals have increased rates of sexual assault against them, including trans men and women, bisexuals and lesbians.

We asked UO students what they thought of the display

“It’s overwhelming in a sense,” said Amanda, an Oregon junior.

Most students agreed that the statistics and representation matched their own perception of sexual assault on campus. However, one person suggested it could be higher than the representation given.

Two business majors also commented: “We’ve been made very aware of sexual assault happens on campus.”

One interviewee said: “I don’t think [greek culture] is as much [a problem] because we do have sober monitors at parties and a huge part of my fraternity is watching out for your brothers so they don’t do something stupid.

“When one brother sees another brother treating a woman poorly they pull them over and talk to the so it’s not a representation of our house.”

University of Oregon