UO professor went in blackface to a Halloween party

The faculty member has apologized after wearing the racially offensive costume at an off-campus party

A UO faculty member has apologized for wearing blackface at a Halloween party.

According to university President, Michael Schill: “A faculty member of the School of Law wore a costume that included blackface at a private, off-campus Halloween party that was attended by UO faculty members and students.”

Part one of President Schill’s message

The incident comes just a week after the UO’s student government announced its partnership with Oregon State student government to put a stop to cultural appropriation when wearing Halloween costumes.

President Schill wrote: “The use of blackface, even in jest at a Halloween party, is patently offensive and reinforces historically racist stereotypes. It was a stupid act and is in no way defensible.”

Immediate action is being taken, and according to an email sent to students in staff, the school is planning a series of events, including a UO African American Workshop and Lecture Series, to further understanding of this topic. In addition, bias trainings will also be implemented.

President Schill: “Providing a welcoming, diverse, and inclusive environment for all is one of the university’s top priorities”

The email said: “Implicit bias training is now required for all faculty searches and this winter new trainings on micro-aggressions will be offered. We will continue to assess other trainings or opportunities we can employ to further educate our community.”

Despite the school’s efforts to create a more inclusive environment, this incident is sure to further discussion as to how best to go about it.

University of Oregon