Oregon volleyball hosts USC on Breast Cancer Awareness Night

For all those affected, we stand with you

Oregon volleyball has been a tough team to battle all season, and Friday night’s match up against USC was no exception. The lady ducks put on a show, however they couldn’t get past the Women of Troy, who beat Oregon two sets to one.

“We are not grinding. That’s literally one of the things I was going to say. We are not grinding it out. We are not getting tough when it gets in a crucial situation,” said head coach Jim Moore.

#9 Kacy Nady (left) and #7 Taylor Agost (right) jump to defend against the Trojans. Photo credit: Theron Hollenbeck

“We are in a slump offensively. We have some pin hitters that basically hit zero, they’re all way down there, under .100. Then you really have to grind it out and we are just not doing a very good job of that.”

Setter Maggie Scott (#3) passes the ball to her teammates. Photo credit: Theron Hollenbeck

The night also marked the annual Breast Cancer Awareness Night, and the team and coaching staff wore pink to honor those who have survived and are currently battling the tragic disease. Students were also encouraged to show their support and wear pink attire to the game.

The Oregon cheer team showed their support with pink pom poms during Friday night’s game. Photo credit: Theron Hollenbeck

For some it’s just a color, but for others it means more. We talked to some students on the night of pink what they color means to them:

Sean Duncan, senior, Religious Studies

Sean on the color pink: ‘It raises awareness not only to breast cancer but all cancer’

“The color pink brings awareness not only to breast cancer but all cancer and the constant need to further treatment, care, and medical study of the disease.”

Brittany Brice, freshman, Human Physiology and Lauren Aleyo, freshman, Psychology

Brittany (left) and Lauren (right) in the student section supporting Breast Cancer Awareness Night

Brittany: “It’s personally my favorite color. It’s just happy and upbeat.”

Lauren: “It’s fun and girly. It’s feminine.”

Bryce Young, junior, Political Science

Brice decked out in pink paraphernalia for volleyball’s home game against USC

“Stand up to cancer!”

#10 Amanda Benson serves the ball against the Trojans

Despite the loss, the staff and students came together to honor a month that holds a special meaning for many people. In the end, matter what the score, coming together to support one another is a winning effort.

University of Oregon