Meet the volleyball team, the unsung heroes of Oregon women’s athletics

After an 11-game winning streak the team is on a high

Oregon is known for its athletics, but not all sports get the same amount of appreciation. One of those hero teams is the women’s volleyball team. Providing plenty of things for fans to cheer about, the lady Ducks, who are 12-3 and 5-1 in PAC 12 play, are an exciting team to watch.

Coming off an 11-game win streak, the lady Ducks matched up with no. 11 University of Washington on Friday night and even though the outcome (they unfortunately lost in three straight sets) was not what any of them had hoped for, it was still a team effort.

A big reason the team functions so well is they’re upfront about what they need to do to accomplish their team goals.

Speaking about Friday’s game against Washington, sophomore and outside Hitter Lindsey Vander Weide said:

“Nothing about them surprised us. We knew who they were going to go to, and they went to those people. They were effective, they were really good hitters.

“We just needed to work harder.”

Despite Friday’s setback, the team used Saturday to work on their weaknesses and put together an outstanding performance on Sunday, beating rival Washington State in three straight sets.

“We are obviously so close, this is the closest team I have ever played on and we are all really good friends and I think that helps with that”, said junior outside hitter Taylor Agost.

“After Friday’s game, we were frustrated, but you can’t change the results, you have to learn and grow from it, so we came out this game and did the best that we cold.”

Even though attendance isn’t as popular as football, there’s plenty to root for.  We asked attendees what makes Oregon volleyball underrated and here’s what they said:

Maddie Lee, Freshman, Biochemistry

Photo credit: Emily Hunsigner

“I love the high energy from the students.

“They keep it real.”

Kael Newton, Senior, Journalism and Jake Willard, Sophomore, Journalism

Jake (left) and Kael (right) both cheer on their friends on and off the court. Photo credit: Emily Hunsinger

Kael: “I’m friends with some of the girls off the court and it’s really cool to see what they do.”

Jake: “It’s just a really cool atmosphere and it’s really cool to see what our friends do.”

Sean Wilson, Freshman, Architecture

Photo credit: Emily Hunsinger

“I like how a lot of people don’t show up so it’s easy to get in the front row.

“I also like how it’s easy to follow.”

Jared Mack, Freshman, Sports Business

Photo credit: Emily Hunsinger

“The atmosphere is great. I’m from Massachusetts so it’s really cool to see this.”

Krystal Johns, Freshman, Psychology

Photo credit: Emily Hunsinger

“I like volleyball, and the atmosphere is just really fun.”

Johnathan Johannesen, Senior, Business

Photo credit: Emily Hunsinger

“It’s definitely underrated in comparison to football.”

“We’re really good, and people should come out.”

Priscilla Lee, Freshman, Human Physiology

Photo credit: Emily Hunsinger

“This is definitely underrated compared to football and basketball.”

“We’ve been really good, and we’re in the top 20. People should come and watch.”

Miguel Friedman, Freshman, Business

Photo credit: Emily Hunsinger

“I just decided to go to the Friday night game, and I liked it so much that I came back.”

“It’s just a fun experience.”

What else makes Oregon volleyball the place to be? From the student section to the middle school girls in the stands, the atmosphere is electric. No matter what, it’s an event that brings students together.

Student section gets fired up. Photo credit: Emily Hunsinger

Looking for a athletic treat? Games are free for students and make the cheering section close enough that if feels much more like a family. After all, what’s better than a bunch of Ducks coming together and cheer each other on?

University of Oregon