I painted my nails for a week and was showered in praise

You do you

Gender norms have rooted themselves in today’s culture, and there have been many that have developed over the years. Each gender has acquired its own norms correct or not, and it can be hard to break down barriers  because it’s scary to think of the comments from those who are opposed to your view. 

One example is nail polish – it’s normally viewed as a female gender norm. However, just because someone paints their nails does not mean they are more or less feminine, rather a form of expression that may have different meanings depending on the person.

This past week I decided to challenge that norm by painting my nails. Even though the primary reason for painting my nails was for therapeutic purposes, it also added some flair to my outfits. Here’s what happened:

Buying nail polish

I walked into a Walgreens on a Sunday, picked out three of my favorite colors, bought them without a second glance from the cashier and went home to begin the process of painting my nails.

The colors I had planned on using

I quickly learned the struggles of painting my nails early on; I can now sympathize with girls who do it on a regular basis.

The drying process is way too long, not to mention how do you even paint your right hand well?

The struggle was real

Day 1

I started my week with a silver nail polish with pink and purple undertones; I felt that this was a good start since it’s a less noticeable color. It wasn’t until my second class that I got my first and only compliment of the day–nothing big but it was nice to feel comfortable with my decision to paint my nails. Most of the time I couldn’t tell if people just didn’t care that I had painted my nails or if they didn’t notice. However, the entire day I was self conscious, hoping I wouldn’t get any bad reactions.

Thankfully, no bad reactions came my way.

Matching the color somewhat to my outfit

What it looked like as an accent

However, I never bought nail polish remover so I did have to text a friend of mine to receive some. She  willing and readily gave me some, because she had no plans to paint her nails in the near future. (Shout out to Amy Brennamen for helping a friend out!)

Even when I received the nail polish remover in my organic chemistry lecture there was almost no discussion about my nails, as if it was the most normal thing a guy can get from their friend.

Day 2

I changed my nail polish color to a Peri-Winkle/Robin’s Egg blue for the next day, which meant a whole new set of painting and drying. 

Despite the tedious process, I ended up with a gorgeous color and a great set of nails. I also decided ditching the switch to another color during the week because I had absolutely no time to wait for them to dry and attempt to do homework.

Getting some nail polish remover was easier than expected

It was in the second day that I received the most compliments and experienced all of the support and friendliness of the UO community. Now you would think most of my compliments would come from girls, who could appreciate the color and effort; however I received a fair amount of compliments from guys on multiple occasions.

The support I got was widespread, ranging from my close friends to random strangers. Even the most “masculine” of guys I knew were unafraid to praise my finely painted nails.

The rest of the week

Throughout the rest of the week I was complimented on my nails at unexpected instances, especially the color. These occasions included classes, choir, Christian bible study and even my research lab’s tea party. I never received any bad responses or any assumptions as to why I was painting my nails.

One of my favorite experiences occurred in my biology lab when a girl proceeded to go out of her way to get my attention to compliment my nail color.

Outfit #1

Outfit #2

Outfit #3

I was surprised how comfortable my peers made me feel about breaking conventional gender stereotypes. I experienced some of the best of what I think makes University of Oregon such an accepting and friendly place. I will feel a bit of sorrow as I remove the nail polish from my nails and begin a new week with fresh, clean and natural nails.

Nails now chipped and sad

However, if you feel like there is a gender stereotype you wish to oppose students will be for you, rather than against you.

Go slay some gender stereotypes out there

University of Oregon