The science library has reopened – and it looks epic

Guys, there’s a 3-D printer

If you’ve been on campus at any point in the past few years you’ve probably noticed that there have been some building renovations. Many buildings have undergone construction, but the latest one, the Allan Price Science Library & Commons, is finally open after almost two years. Yes, the library that has been under construction since mid December 2014 is open and ready for business; and there are a plethora of exciting features to help you study and be a productive student.

Here is a rundown of all the high-tech library has to offer:

Science puns are the best puns

What’s new inside?

Upon entering, one of the first things you will notice is that there’s an above ground entrance instead of its previously located entrance below the Onyx building.

In addition, students now have an additional get away at the Commons cafe.

After enjoying a snack or a cup of coffee you can descend down the stairs and into the heart of the library. The windows, which span from floor to ceiling, give the library an open feel despite its underground location. These windows also allow for sufficient natural light to illuminate the studying area.

New Price Commons Cafe

Full two story view from outside the library

While the windows may have changed, the actual selection and placement of books have not. However, the space is still just as accommodating for the students who need concentrated study time.

Outside, the open courtyard in the center of the library is a small but natural feature that gives the library a more spacious vibe.  

Courtyard area for studying and openness

A collaborative experience

Other new features include a group study area with multiple booths, semicircular seats and other spaces to encourage group study and projects.

Even though there are a bunch of new features, the best parts of the old library are still there. There are still study rooms that can be reserved for groups in addition to separate study rooms for different sciences such as physics, biology, geology and chemistry.

Gadgets and gizmos aplenty

The building also features an array of computers that can be used throughout the library. In one of the new labs they have added a total of 42 computers, 24 in another lab, along with the original set of 18 computers.

The new computer lab

The library also allows you to checkout laptops for a maximum of four hours. There are many resources to help students with research projects, such as references, online journals and librarians who are happy to help you.

The increased amount of technology is available to students so they can conduct research and do homework throughout the day. Another one of its unique features are charging stations with multiple outlets so you charge your phone, laptop or any other device that may running low on battery.

New charging stations located in various locations around the library

3-D printing, anyone?

The library also has a 3D Printer that’s available for student use. The service is currently free, as long as you have the file you want to print. However, they are planning to charge for this service later on.

Another advantage is the wide variety of video games ; the science library has approximately 400 choices to pick from .

This is only a portion of the selection of games available to students.

A place for relaxation

The entire library has also been retrofitted with comfortable furniture to help studying be more relaxing.

New furniture such as couches

Retrofitted space with new furniture

With all of the old features still present as well as a bunch of new ones, the Allan Price Library and Commons might become your new study spot on campus.

University of Oregon