UO struck by potential Norovirus outbreak

They’re looking at cases in four unknown fraternity houses

Norovirus may be spreading through the UO campus with up to 20 potential cases having been identified.

A recent notice was made on the UO Health website saying, ‘Gastroenteritis symptoms have surfaced in the UO community’.

According a report from Outbreaknewstoday.com, multiple students from UO are showing signs of Gastrointestinal Illness.

Lane County Health experts are currently looking into cases in four unknown fraternity houses. While no official cases have been confirmed yet, students are still alerted to be cautious if they are feeling sick.

All students are warned to look out for symptoms of nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and some stomach cramping. Additional signs include fever, chills and a general feeling of exhaustion. Other names that Norovirus may go by are the stomach flu and viral gastroentiritus. This illness is spread person to person and most is often in close, crowded spaces. It can easily be contracted by touching surfaces, and coming in contact with those who are already infected or sharing food and drinks.

According to the University Health Center, best way for students to avoid the Norovirus is by consistently washing their hands before and after they eat, after using the restroom or touching public, open surfaces.

More updates to follow.

University of Oregon