Power outage on Oregon Campus leaves numerous buildings without electricity

The outage is expected to last at least four hours

A power outage affecting more than half the buildings on Oregon campus is likely to continue for at least four hours.

Campus authorities sent out this messages to students and parents following Wednesday’s power outage

The message was sent out at 2:21 pm and, according to the university website, is slated to last at least four hours while repairs are performed.

The alert of the four hour closure came in less than two after the outage started

The buildings that were reported to have be effected are Chapman, Deady, Fenton, Friendly, Computing Center, Gerlinger Annex, Johnson, Peterson, Collier House, Knight Library, Lawrence West, Lillis, Museum of Art, Music, Susan Campbell, Gilbert Hendricks and Villard.

The university also stated that the Knight Library was evacuated at 2:48 pm following “a general fire alarm that was triggered by a burst steam pipe in a lower level mechanical room.” The page said the Eugene/Springfield Fire Department, UO Campus Operations, and UO Safety and Risk Services are on-site” and are working to restore things back to normal. It was then the school announced that the library will remain closed for the rest of the evening.

The university website has been updating patrons on the status of the electricity since the outage and will continue to post updates as they come in

As of 9:00 pm the electrical crews diagnosed the problem as “a faulty cable in an underground electrical vault”, and have “re-routed power through a sound feeder line.”

The campus should be back to its normal hours of operation starting Thursday morning.

University of Oregon